Friday, September 28, 2007

The story about last night



Last night was the Style Weekly award ceremony honoring their Top 40 under 40. My Pop and Kitty Mom came to town to come to the Top 40 party with us and see the play afterwards. The party started at 5:30 and the award ceremony began around 6:30. It was fancy and well attended and everything you would imagine. I didn't want to leave. I knew they would never call my name in time since the awards were being presented in alpha order and I had to somehow be backstage by 7. At 10 minutes til 7 I pulled away from my chair, took my parents with me and asked HNS to please stay so he could tell me what I missed later that night. I also had him taking pics that I will be sharing with you as soon as I can.

I left with mixed feelings. I was so honored to get this award and so happy Pop and Kitty Mom where with me but sad that I was going to miss out on getting the award actually presented to me and hearing all the nice things the presenters say and seeing my folks so proud and all that stuff.

I made it to the dressing room on time and was happy to be there. When I walked in I noticed a huge vase with a dozen red roses at my station. At first I figured Christine got flowers again and then I noticed that the card was addressed to me. It was from my Ma! She sent flowers saying she was proud of me and sorry she couldn't be there. How sweet?!

I told the cast about my evening thus far and began looking forward to doing the show. I knew my folks would enjoy it and as I put my make up on and got ready I also thought about how fun it would be to get home tonight and hear all about the rest of the evening from HNS. I called him from backstage at one point and asked him how it went and thanked him for staying there to pick up my award for me. In true HNS fashion he didn't have much to say. What I did get out of him was that he brought my award home but he didn't want to describe it to me over the phone - he said let it be a surprise and just see it when you get home. That sounded good to me.

The show went well and as I walked out to the lobby afterwards I spotted Erin Thomas and thought "Mmmm, I guess she saw the show." not remembering at the time that she had her own show to do that night. (Mr. Marmalade)
As I walked out further I saw Kitty and Pop and ....who is that?...Is that Jason Roop, Editor of Style Weekly? WTF? Did he see the show? No, he was at the ceremony I had to leave giving out the awards...then why is he here now? And My mind is just swimming and I look around the Barksdale lobby and notice HNS is there and so is most of my cast along with some of the parents of the kids in the show and a couple other friends (Including Erin who apparently raced to get there from her own show) and oh, wait, I get it! Jason Roop brought the award ceremony to me.
At 11 pm after the show, after he must have had quite a crazy night already. He stood there looking just as he did at the podium of the ceremony I had to leave. Then he began to speak. From what I gather he explained to the Barksdale lobby crowd what he was doing there and gave a lovely speech about why I was chosen for this honor. Then presented me with my award.
It is kind of all a blurr to me as I was trying to take in every moment and stop time (Not possible, btw). It was overwhelming and something I am not likely to forget. Seriously, even if I get amnesia one day, I will be wandering around - that's what amnesia folks do, right? From what I have seen in TV movies they do some wandering. So - I will be wandering around muttering to myself "I don't know who I am but I do know that I was named one of Style Weekly's top 40 under 40!".
Thanks to the folks who wrote such beautiful letters on my behalf and to everyone who participated in the theatre surprise and especially to Jason Roop who, after what I am sure was already a long evening, came to the theatre so I could have my moment.

9 comments:

pnlkotula said...

What a great story - that is so wonderful! Wish I could have been there. Enjoy basking in the glory. It is well deserved. Love to you!

A.K. said...

congrats!!! what a great day!!!

Le Synge Bleu said...

i'm so so proud of you schmuffinface!

Anonymous said...

A well-deserved moment for you, Jill Bari. Congratulations! I read the style article and you are indeed in good company!
Janine

Anonymous said...

Sorry that I couldn't be there, but it must have been quite an exciting, surprise and all-around wonderful eveing. How meaningful to get the award at the theater!
(:

Anonymous said...

thanks for taking the picture of the roses!
love,
(:

mim said...

Congratulations! How did I miss that issue? Where was I? So happy for you and how very special that the award ceremony came to you! Brava!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mim - it is out this week! Pick one up before next Wednesday and read about all the interesting under 40 folks.

Arties32 said...

JB - the night sounds amazing. I know what you mean about wanting to slow down time to savor the moments. So proud of you, and love you. :)
Chickie face :)