Friday, September 7, 2007

Misnamed Product


Imagine my delight when I spotted this box. I was looking for a good Falafel mix. "Good" would have been fine until I spotted this "Fantastic" Falafel mix. I was giddy with anticipation. It was quite a site. I mean, they promised me a lot just on their box. Now, call me naive but I thought..."how could it be bad when they have already named it Fantastic?" I thought I couldn't lose.

A couple nights ago HNS and I watched a Horror movie called The Hostle. I love scary, spooky, gory movies. They are fun. This one might have been the grossest one I have ever seen, seriously. I tell you this not to recommend the movie but to emphasize a point. This Falafel was grosser than anything I saw in that film.


I just couldn't admit defeat so I tried another batch and this time I made the oil so hot it was nearly smoking. I must have done something right because while it was not the tastiest falafel ever and far, far, far from Fantastic - it actually looked like something resembling Falafel this time.

HNS even tasted it.
But then I made dinner for real.


I have been in a meat kind of mood lately. I had some extra red potato's left over from potato salad I made to take to the River so I boiled and mashed them. They accompanied a ribeye that was on sale. I think it was on sale because it was mostly eye and not much rib...if you know what I mean. It was still good but I was so tired from the not-at-all Fantastic Falafel cooking that I had a bite or two and surrendered the rest to HNS.
I will continue my search for good Falafel. I have not given up. It must be out there somewhere.

11 comments:

Arties32 said...

NO! I do not know what that means, but it's funny as hell. Too much eye and not enough rib??!! Ha ha I'm crying. You shouldn't really attempt any frying w/out a fryer. Mine is a Delonghi Dual Zone Fryer with Fry Basket and it makes all the difference.

JB said...

I will look for that fryer. Is there a website?
PS - Ma just called me on her way to Ft Wayne from Indy to tell me she was passing the James Dean Museum. hahah

A.K. said...

congrats on your honor! i just read your sister's blog- i better see a posting about that on your blog... don't be bashful! show that baby off- great picture by the way that she posted!

Arties32 said...

The link for the fryer is here http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000ON31ZO/002-0958155-9702447?SubscriptionId=02ZH6J1W0649DTNS6002

This is the digital model, which I don't have. Mine works just as well...so look on Amazon for the same thing but with a temperature dial instead of digital readout.

Anonymous said...

JB, you appear to have something bordering on an obsession to make the perfect falafel. I am a big fan, as well. Why not try making your own, from scratch? Do you have a food processor? If so, it is very easy. I will send you a recipe from a Lebanese cookbook I've got. The uncooked falafel stuff freezes very well, too.

When I was 10, my Aunt Nell, my mom's sister, married a wonderful man from Jerusalem named Shukri Zazou. His arrival to our super waspy family marked a turning point in our culinary repertoire. He introduced us to such exotic and fantastic foods as falafel and hummous--come on, it was 1969! And we lived in Michigan. So, Middle Easern food, me love you long time. My favorite auntie has long passed away, but Shukri is alive and well and one of the most excellent human beings I have ever known.

Another thing about falafel. When you gently slide the ball of falafel into the hot oil, you cannot futz with it. You cannot move it around as if you are sauteeing it. It will most assuredly disintegrate. You have to resist the urge to futz until it is quite done on one side, and cooked and binded enough to flip over. Minimal futzing!

Cheers,
Janine

pnlkotula said...

Okay, food ignorance. What is falafel? It looks like little hushpuppies. I'm all over that.

JB said...

Janine - thanks for all the good info! I guess I am a bit obsessed with this now! I LOVE the story about your Aunt and her Husband. (your Uncle)
Yes - send me your recipe for Falafel. I will try it from scratch. Will a blender work - I don't have a food processor - are they the same thing?
AK - Thanks for your sweet words. Maybe I will post something when the article comes out. :)

Sissy - Thank you. I am waiting for Sparki to tell me "Concunalations"

Lisa - I will tell you exactly what it is when I get the recipe but basically they are fried balls of seasoned chichpea paste. Hope your show is going well. Can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

Dawn makes a good falafel...from a box...but i don't think it's the one in the photo. Let me ask her and get back to you. Don't lose hope! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Best Falafel in the world....East Side Pockets in Providence, RI. Tom is a pretty good critic of Middle Eastern food and he loves this stuff. Might be cheaper to get your a** up here and eat!

Anonymous said...

bt - good idea. We must go there soon!!

JB said...

HNS said it was "god awful falafel". he-he