Wednesday, September 12, 2007

L'shanah Tovah For a sweet New Year to all!

On Wednesday night, Sept. 12 , 2007, Jews (Moi) will begin celebrating one of their most important religious holidays, Rosh Hashanah (Thankfully it happens after NY Fashon Week.)

It remembers the creation of the world. Yes, you read that right - the world.

In Hebrew, Rosh Hashanah means the "head of the year." It is also called the Feast of the Trumpets. The blowing of a ram's horn, a shofar, proclaims Rosh Hashanah, and summons Jews to religious services. (it also smells really bad inside.)

Sundown Sept. 12 marks the beginning of the year 5768 and the month of Tishri. (and you thought 2007 sounded old.)
Jews used the ram's horn as a trumpet in Biblical times to announce the new moon, holidays, and war. Today, a variety of horns are used, including curved antelope horns. (and I bet they all smell really bad inside.)

If you want to know more this site is pretty interesting, just in the fact that it exists - http://www.holidays.net/highholydays/


Oy!

10 comments:

Arties32 said...

Do you know why they all smell bad inside? When they're made, they don't smell. After thousands of years of being used by various people once a year, and not sanitzied, they take on a certain odor. They sound good but they smell horribly. Happy New Year, Sissy :)

JB said...

Thanks for sharing that Fascinating spit fact.
Happy New Year to you and yours,Sissy!

JB said...

And - you'd think our people would sanitize the begeebee's out of it. They sure clean everything else.

hoosier steve said...

Happy New Year!
There are very few Jewish people who live in Indiana, but those who I have met all speak highly of this summer camp they all went to as children. Every time I hear them, I think of you and Jew Camp.
Miss you!

JB said...

I bet it is the same camp - ask then if it was camp GUCI in Zionsville In. That is where I went - many folks were from Indy.

Arties32 said...

I went there too! It has to be the same place, how many of them can there be? I don't like that name- Jew camps!

JB said...

You have to hear him say it and you would not be offended. He sent mail to my myspace page and told me it was the same camp and that is why it makes him think of me - I used to tell him Camp stories once I found out he was a Hoosier.

Le Synge Bleu said...

what's up with the two of you sniffing shofars? i have never ever sniffed a shofar in my life! ewww, what else have you been sniffing?

JB said...

well, Le Synge Bleu, I was blowing on one one day while summoning my villagers to war and I guess I got curious and smelled it.

Arties32 said...

Hi Mommy synge.

I smell everything. If someone has a crown and coke, i ask if i can smell it. It tells me everything I need to know. The shofar normally has a terrible smell. I always thought it was common knowledge, but now I realize it's another one of those misconceptions I have carried around with me for my entire life because my father's a rabbi :)