Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Muffinface got Sole


I have never been a big fish eater and almost never order it in a restaurant so I don't know what prompted me to order not only fish but a type of fish I had never tasted before.

Earlier in the evening I had participated in a Barksdale Theatre's first night of a program they call "Meet the Stars". It is just like their "Coffee and Conversation" daytime talk backs but at night where more people can attend . I think it is a good idea with maybe a silly name.
Last night's discussion was interesting and ended up being more about racism than the play itself. I think the play has a simpler message about love and life being in a constant state of change. But what do I know? I don't think there were many Jews in the deep south at that time. The war was still going on and we all know what was happening to the Jews during the war.

Anyhow - I popped into Cancan - one of my favorite places to sit back with a nice glass of wine and had a little while to catch up with Scott (currently starring in Urinetown - go see it, already!)

I realized at about 9pm I had not eaten dinner and while I love the lunch at Cancan I have not had many dinners there I would rave about. That all changed last night. My favorite bartender (NOT including my guys at WD) saw me looking at the menu and suggested the sole. The idea of fish sounded good to me because it was late and I didn't want anything heavy. The idea of fish always sounds good and healthy but that doesn't mean I order it. What I really wanted was this salad with chicken they have on their lunch menu but they don't serve it at dinner. I was feeling like anything was possible. (perhaps my mind was a bit more open after the Barksdale discussion.)

That was the best damn dinner I have had in a long time. I LOVE SOLE!! It was a super tender fillet cooked with lemon and capers in light brown butter served with a rich side of spinach and a couple tiny fingerling potatoes. I will now try different kinds of fish when I visit Cancan for dinner. That is clearly what they do best.

On another restaurant note - Karsen's is now open for brunch. A couple weeks ago I had brunch there and it was fantastic. I was sorry I didn't bring my camera so next time I go I will show you pics of the place and their yummy food. Please go! 3411 West Cary Street (804) 353-5277. http://www.karsenscuisine.com/
New Fall Menu and Brunch menu will blow you away! OK - I just checked and the new menu is not on the website yet but believe me it is filled with great dishes!

11 comments:

Arties32 said...

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh. I ordered trout- out of the blue! It was fantastic. I never had sole, but I think I would try it. I'm happy to hear you tried something new :)
Love-

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I could eat fish...you make it sound so good.

JB do you have a wonderful dessert that is easy to make (for the cooking challenged - me), that would impress? Oh, and if possible it needs to be the kind of dessert that I could make the night before.

pnlkotula said...

Oooh Jake, I have a chocolate raspberry trifle that couldn't be easier! I'll e-mail it to you!

JB said...

Thanks pnlkotula! Jacquie O you will have to let us know how that goes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Lisa! I am freaking out about making this dinner. God, I hope I don't kill him. I need to take some cooking classes so I don't stress out so much about things like this.

JB said...

Also - I just read Dave T.'s Blog - so thank you Lisa and Jacquie for the nice comments - when I saw there where 2 comments I was scared to read them thinking that maybe the grrr... person was back!

Dave T said...

Jacquie, if this is a guy you are trying to impress, I suggest Jello pudding. Guys are easy. The key of course being the application of the whipped cream...

JB said...

Dave, You are so saucy! Good advice.

Anonymous said...

Dave! Still hot after having 10 thousand kids! Or maybe that's how you and Holly had all those kids...too much Jello with whipped cream! Ha!

Anonymous said...

HI JB, IT IS YOUR AUNT SHARON. CONGRATS! THE PIECE YOU WROTE WAS REALLY GREAT. THE NEXT TIME I COME WE GO TO CAN CAN FOR LUNCH AND TO KARSEN'S FOR BRUNCH THE NEXT DAY. IS THAT A DEAL? SO PROUD OF YOU. LOVE, AUNT SHARON PS HELLO TO DOUG TOO. WHO IS HMS( CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE INITIALS WERE) ?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Aunt Sharon - We will definetly go back to Cancan and then to Karsen's when you visit. Hope you are doing great! Hi to my beautiful Cousins. I miss you all.