Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Who dares me?



Fried Spinach

Vegetable oil for deep-frying 3 bunches spinach, well washed, patted dry and stems removed Salt and freshly ground black pepper


In a large heavy saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat 3 or 4 inches of oil to 350/F. Preheat the oven to very low and put a paper towel-lined roasting pan in it to warm. Standing well away from the top of the pot in case the oil spatters, take a handful of leaves at a time and throw them into the hot oil for about 30 seconds, or until crisp and bright green. Remove with a skimmer or tongs to the towel-lined pan and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fry the remaining spinach in the same way. (The spinach can be kept at room temperature after frying for up to 2 hours, then reheated in a low oven just before serving.)

Oh - don't think I won't do it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not me.
HNS

Le Synge Bleu said...

ummm, that actually sounds kind of icky, muffinface.

JB said...

I had it in a restaurant a few years back. It was light and crisy and not at all greasy. It was sooo good. I must try it myself.
But mt dear Shmara - I hope reading this entry didn't put you over the edge. I forget you have a delicate tummy right now. Sorry!

JB said...

HNS - I know you will try it at least...

Anonymous said...

Yum! I bet it tastes good, but the oil kills the nutrients in it. Why do the really yummy foods kill you?

A.K. said...

can't wait to hear about this- glad we'll get a first hand recount from HNS this weekend! so bummed you can't come... just when i was thinking i was gonna get some girl time! :)

JB said...

Oh AK - I doubt HNS will get anywhere near it. I am making it tonight because he is going to do something in Chester.

pnlkotula said...

So? The verdict? Personally, you could fry just about anything nd I'd eat it. Diet be damned!

Anonymous said...

Whenever I am stumped for dinner, I visit your blog. I am rushing out right now to wipe the shelves clean of all spinach at the farmer's market....and I will probably be eating alone tonight.

JB said...

wait - bt - don't do it!!
Just make a nice salad instead. Trust me!

Anonymous said...

Lucky for me, there was NO spinach at the farmer's market....so I am still married and the dog is alive.

JB said...

bt, Ha-Ha - you got so lucky!