Friday, August 24, 2007

A Little Success (I will try not to let it go to my head)

Last nights dinner - Chicken Parmesan
Photo taken with my phone so it looks blue - trust me it was good and tender and not blue. Yes, it was on a TV tray. (Don't Judge)
The night before the spinach - bone-in strip steak.
Last night I felt I had to try to do a better job in the kitchen than I did the night before. I had confidence that I could turn my kitchen luck around. (even a stopped clock is right twice a day) Also, HNS is off on a bike trip and I wanted to send him off full and happy. I made chicken Parmesan. Simple. I set up the kitchen and laid out everything I needed. Oiled the pan, set out a plate of Italian bread crumbs, flour, a bowl of egg wash, Parmesan cheese, fresh mozzarella, had my meat mallet and cutting board and wax paper, even the Clorox wipes were handy so I don't run the risk of cross contamination. The last thing I do is open the package of chicken.
It smelled a lot like fish.
I even called HNS over to smell it to make sure I wasn't crazy or having a mini stroke or something.
Now HNS will eat things way past their expiration date (much to my dismay) and eat left overs when I want to throw them away. It is his thing. I was sure he would tell me it was fine. I knew asking him to smell it I would be taking that risk. He smelled it and said "it smells like fish".
(Love him!)
He offered to go to the store and buy chicken breasts that wouldn't kill us. The second pack of chicken had no smell at all. The prep work was already done and soon we had tender, yummy chicken Parmesan.
I made a salad with butter lettuce, beats and chick peas to go with it.
I think it is safe to go back in the kitchen.

1 comment:

A.K. said...

that's why HNS looked at our chicken tonight very careful... JUST KIDDING!!

You'll be very impressed- he took pictures of me making the boys our famous "Alexander Pizza" before I left them on my Girls Night Out and even took one of the Goober Sandwich I made for him (now that might have been taking it a little TOO far...!) but you definitely have him trained well!

miss having ya here- we'll get ya next time!