Thursday, August 23, 2007

Do not try this at home

Here is a picture of my spinach before the massacre.

OK - so I love spinach and I love fried food. I have even had fried spinach at restaurants. I decided to try and make my own. How hard could it be, right? First I read up on it and took the advice of others who have tried it all to various amounts of success. I was told to use peanut oil since it is so light and doesn't smoke at high temperatures. I was told to watch out because it splatters. (and the word "splatter" doesn't begin to describe what actually happens when it hits the hot oil) I was advised to make sure it was completely dry, to put it in with tongs and take it out with a slotted spoon - seriously, I did my research.
I am not exactly sure what went wrong here but I should warn you the next picture is not for the faint of heart. I must admit that it was crispy - at least at first - but it was too hot to eat. When it cooled off to a temperature safe for consumption it just flaked apart and had little to no taste. It certainly wasn't the taste explosion I was hoping for. The saddest part is, this was not my biggest disappointment of the night. More to come.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think spinach was meant to be fried! Popeye woulkd never eat it that way!(:

Arties32 said...

Well, you live and learn. I always tell the truth about the dishes I try for the blog, it's nice that we are all learning together. You make me laugh and I love the way you write. I love you- you are my sissy!