Thursday, June 19, 2008

Missing Savannah

On the last leg of our journey we stopped in Savannah - almost a halfway point back to Richmond. I had never been there and was very excited to go. Steve O. Lived there a long time ago and I often hear fun stories about it from him. Two stand outs are when he was really drunk in public and when he met one of his hero's , Clint Eastwood. Thankfully that didn't happen on the same night. We arrived and quickly found a hotel close to river. I kept hearing about these drinks called "Wet Willies" I was intrigued. They sounded like alcoholic Slurpee's - two of my favorite things!~We walked along the river and drank the wet willies - which was good because it was about 100 degrees in the shade. No kidding. We had a blast walking all around (thank g-d for the open container laws!!) we found a cool candy store and passed a gazillion restaurants. We walked past these guys singing blues. They were great. We sat and listened to them for a long time - until we feared there wouldn't be a restaurant open for us to eat in. I wanted seafood. I knew this would be a great place for it. Our entire vacation was wonderful but Savannah was the first place we went to where there was no one to visit so it was just us. It was a great way to finish our journey and I hope to go back to Savannah again soon to spend more time there.


lots of boats










One of the wet willies


The candy store


making taffy




These guys were awesome - we sat for half the night listening to them sing. And did you notice the captains hat this guy is wearing?? Steve was so excited.


We toasted to all our friend's back home.



These shrimp were spiced and marinated in a pepper sauce. They melted in my mouth!


MMMMMMMMMMM - wish these were in front of me all the time.

Steve's meal was also good.


Steve really liked this statue


I thought it might be thirsty

We wanted to stop by Lady and Son's but the line was wrapping around the block (and it was a long block) so we saved that for our next trip.

I guess there may be a few more vacation pics showing up here and there but that is basically the gist of it. We had an amazing time everywhere we went and seeing my Brother and Sissy and spending time with their families was the best present I could imagine.

And it all kicked off with that incredible party My BFF and Robert Threw - I am feeling pretty lucky these days...................

5 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Pretty - I've heard it's very similar in feel and food to Charleston, and that was to date our best vacation ever. I want some grits right now! They're so not the same here...

Janine Serresseque said...

Andy and I screwed up a trip to England once and had to cancel it literally the night before we were to leave (long story) but we still had the time off from work so we went to Savannah and Charleston. We loved Savannah. All the beautiful little parks everywhere! They talked about Forest Gump a lot, though.

JB said...

I want to go to Charleston too. I had no idea how close these cities are to each other. We decided to go to both on our next trip. Can't wait!!! I can taste those grits now.
Janine - can't wait to hear the rest of that England story - at lease you guys got away and had fun.

mim said...

We went to Savannah a couple three years ago for some family wedding and loved it. Took a trolley ride around to get our bearings then went off on our own. The Art museum was a treat as they had a big Rauschenburg show up. I loved that candy store! They had the best pecan, caramel, chocolate thingies, oh yum. Good pix of food from you as usual.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Savannah! There was a short time in the early 00's that it seemed like I was going down there like every other week! A treat every time! There was this seafood place right there on River Street called Olympia (or something like that that had the softest calamari I've ever eaten! Honestly, when I tried it the first time, I thought it was scallops with holes in them!