Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fondue night...in Miami.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we had fondue for birthdays and other fun occasions when we were growing up so it has been a long time since I had some. There is a nice fondue restaurant around the corner from Pop and Kitty Mom's house that HNS and I went to last year and that was great - but I am talking about home made here. So we started off with Cheese fondue. This was made with a couple kinds of cheese.
My sissy and I were in the cheese department of Wild Oaks and we were looking for Gruyere. We couldn't find it anywhere - they seemed to have every kind of cheese in the universe so we finally saw something that said "Cave aged Gruyere". Jenn said that sounded too fancy for what we needed and wasn't sure what the cave aging would do to the taste. The nice woman behind the counter offered us a taste. Just when Jenn was about to say no - I jumped in and said Yes, please! Then this woman handed us each a piece of cheese that would choke a pig, seriously. Just when Jenn was about to say, Oh I think we can just split one piece (she got about half of that out) I reached over, grabbed the pieces and said "Thank you." Then I turned to my sissy and said "Look, when someone offers you free food, you say YES!" But I am not sure she really heard me because when I looked at her she had this look on her face of total delight. She was having a mouthgasim or something. I tasted the cheese. Oh my guuuud. I will always remember where I was when I tasted the best cheese I have ever had in my life. You don't get a lot of those special moments in life, and this was one of them. This was like magic cheese, do you know how, as you eat cheese, especially something with a sharp, distinct flavor, nothing seems to be as good or strong as the first bite? I am not sure why that is but this was not the case here. Every bite was like the first. We wandered around the store all glassy eyed and zombie like as we slowly savored our huge pieces of wonder cheese. It must have been quite a sight - all we could get out was "This cheese is freakin amazing." We said it over and over again. Good times.
Anyway - that was one of the cheeses we used in the first fondue.


Muffin preparing the shrimp.


The broth Sissy made for the steak and shrimp fondue. The steak was a beautiful, tender fillet. It really melted in my mouth.


cave aged Gruyere and another kind of Swiss.


cheese fondue pot. We dipped apples and crusty french bread in this fondue.


These strawberries were part of our desert. Of course we had chocolate fondue. We dipped these strawberries, pound cake, marshmallows and banana's in the chocolate. There was no pic of the rest because by this time I could barely see straight from all the eating.

MMMmmmmm.

4 comments:

Arties32 said...

That cheese is the best, your post made me crack up. Cave aged should just be eaten by itself and reg. old Grueyre should be put in the foundue. Oh my god that cheese was unbelievable!!!!

Anonymous said...

How I am salivating!
(:
for the food and the company!

Janine Serresseque said...

Yum, fondue is so good. I remember my mom making it for parties in the 60's when it was the latest thing! We got some lovely gruyere at Ukrop's (the new-ish one by Target) last weekend and made vegetarian rueben sandwiches with it. It's a bit of a splurge, but so delicious! Kind of like swiss cheese on ecstasy.

Suzanne said...

okay, i don't want to disappoint, but i don't really like cheese. well, not most cheese anyway. but i totally want a piece of cave aged grueyre now.