Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Happy Belated Anniversary to a great couple.


I was remiss last week in congratulating my Sissy and Sissy-in-Law on their wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary!! Is it 3 years already??
I don't often get political on this blog but I struggle to understand why the rights of gays and lesbians are any different from my own. Do folks not see that it is just the same discrimination we had against women and African Americans? I was thrilled with the supreme courts ruling lifting the gay marriage ban in California.

I hope it is just the beginning.

There are many things I am proud of being a Virginian for - but equality just isn't one of them. I am aware that I live in a State where race based legal restrictions on marriage were ended in 1967. Think about that- It was not long ago - just one year before I was born.

On the positive side, you can marry your cousin here. On the State website, right after it says you can marry your cousin, it states that same sex marriages are not legal. I guess I couldn't marry any of my female cousins. Darn. They are really pretty.

For information on The Human Rights Campaign and ways you can help in your own community go to this site : http://www.hrc.org//




9 comments:

Arties32 said...

It's 2 years!! Thank you for a beautiful post! Lovies- your sissy chickie face.

Anonymous said...

Yes, a very Happy Anniversary-sorry I am so late in everything I do!
JB
You are so right, and yet so witty!
(:

Unknown said...

thanks Jill Bari - we love and miss you... hugs to the captain.

Princess Crabass said...

I bet I can't marry my female cousin, can I? This place sucks!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Here's to many more years of politically, socially, and religiously defiant bliss! The Dean and I have been together almost 11 years, and my sister is about to marry her third husband. Go figure.

Sparki

Arties32 said...

Sparki- do you have an anniversary date??

Arties32 said...

Well, Mary is her name! What do you expect :)

Janine Serresseque said...

Arties32, I haven't met you yet, but I wish you a happy anniversary, and I love your wedding pictures!

Arties32 said...

Thank you, Janine. I read your blog all the time- I love the Make Believe Cooking Show. I hope to meet you the next time I'm in Richmond!