Monday, June 30, 2008

The Mama Zu's experience

Do you remember the episode of Seinfeld with the soup Nazi? Of course you do. The only thing I can compare that experience to is eating at Mama Zu's. There are rules people. We arrive at 6:30 on Saturday. Early but I figured if I wanted to eat before 10 PM that was a good time to show up. We are told right away there is a 45 minute wait. No problem, I was expecting as much. As luck would have it, I found a chair at the end of the bar that no one was using - even though many parties were standing around. I sat and we ordered a beer and some white wine. I normally drink red but it was warm in there. No matter - the white was tasty and refreshing. About 10 minutes in to the wait I see the couple next to me panic and one of them leaves. The lady leans over to me and says "Do you know they only accept checks, cash. or Am ex?" CRAP - I knew that once but had totally forgotten. Already I have broken the rules! So I send Steve out for cash - I told him there was an ATM near by and I knew we were looking at at least another 1/2 hour wait for a table. Well, no sooner does he leave than our name is called for a table. I panicked- taking my wine but leaving a full beer on the bar. I mentioned right away that my dinner companion ran out for cash and if he had to give the table away I understood. They basically just told me to sit and see what happened. If you have never been in here you must know this place is a dive - it is dirty and dark and no frill. They speak very short to you if they speak to you at all. I was mortified. I had my script with me so I pulled it out, sipped on my wine and basically prayed for Steve to come back quickly. Time passed. The waiter came over and said a few times - "where is he? What is going on?" I called him and found out he was in traffic due to VCU's graduation or something - once again I offered to give up my table - But they just looked at me like I was retarded and shook their heads in shame. It is important to also point out that a this point there was no one waiting for a table and there were quite a few tables open if anyone were to come in. But no matter - that is just how they are there. Those are the rules. The last time the waiter came up to me (Steve was gone for about 10 minutes at this point) he said "Please tell me what is happening - I am getting in trouble from my superiors." That's when I looked around and noticed so many empty tables, but I didn't dare say anything except again I offered to give up my table until he returned. Finally Steve came back and I tried to explain to him how I was berated and sneered at. He was in no mood and seemed to be determined not to like the food at this point. I mean, what could be worth all this meanness? Just wait, I told him, it is totally worth it. When the waiter came up to the table he gave us such a dirty look, like we had killed his mother, then he said in a very snotty tone - almost under his breath "Do you know what you want?" I ordered The arugula salad and the Veal Marsala - and Steve got the Clams and mussels. The food was heavenly, every last drop was savored. I didn't dare take pictures for fear they would never allow me to return. I can't wait for my next trip - they can treat me however they want to - that food is worth it all. But - of course, next time I will bring cash.

9 comments:

Princess Crabass said...

Rules or no rules, I hope you left a crappy tip.

JB said...

No - I left a really good tip - I was afraid not too. I know - they totally suck but they have me right where they want me.

Arties32 said...

I would have stayed if the food was that good, but TLMM would have been kicked out for screaming at the rude wait staff! I would have left with her and we would have gone to the taco joint.

pnlkotula said...

Oh meeeemries...I used to go there for lunch treats when I worked on Semmes Avenue. They are unbelievably scary, but mmmmmmm. I'm going to direct my former boss to your post. He lives in Tampa now - no Zu for you!

Jacquie O. said...

There was something on them in Style last week or the week before...and I swear to God the owner commented that he didn't understand the "rude" rep that they had...he said it wasn't true! You need to send him a letter!

Dave T said...

Sorry you had to weather the Zu 'tude. I've never been there and dont' really care to go. There's plenty of places to go that serve good food and are nice about it. I'm tempted to show up with the whole Tline brood though so we could cut the kids loose if they were sh*tty to us.

Has anyone been to Joe's in the Fan lately? I've avoided going there ever since dealing with a few pricky servers.

JB said...

I think you guys should all show up Dave - and have the kids go wild! Just let me know when so I can witness.
I have not been to Joe's (fan) in forever. I have been to the one near us in Bon Air. What happened with the servers there? They are another place that certainly don't seem to care much about service, although I haven't had too many bad experiences there.

Janine Serresseque said...

I think their food is divine, but they have worn out their welcome in terms of their rude staff. I mean, they are famous for their rudeness! Is this what you want to be famous for? The tide will turn eventually, and people will just choose to patronize restaurants where they are treated courteously. It's not cheap to go out to eat these days. I at least expect to feel welcome in the establishment. But damn, they do make the best eggplant parm I've ever had, damn them.

mim said...

I have to DITTO all the comments about 'tude and food at Zu's. I can't go there, I don't want to give my money to rude people even if the food is so yummy. We had a rude 'tude experience at Comfort not too long ago. ICK! I hate when that happens. Let's go where we're appreciated as customers AND the food is good. Let's see, that'd be???