Thursday, June 7, 2007

Welcome and Farewell


This is my first blog entry ever! (cue fanfare)
I was inspired by my sister's blog and keep wanting to write my own stories.
Her blog is great so make sure to visit it at www.andtheeggs.blogspot.com . She posts recipes and last night I made one of them. It was sweet and hot corn and potato chowder. Getting all the ingredients was a bit expensive and it took me a couple hours to make it but it turned out great. The sad part is it was accidentally left out all night and so it got tossed out this morning. So sad.

But on a more serious note I lost a friend yesterday to cancer. Martha (pictured above) was an amazing person and always made you feel good. The last time we spoke she came to see Brooklyn Boy at the Barksdale theatre. After the show she took me aside and squeezed my hand and said "You do know how good you are, right?" She was always saying things like that. I don't remember ever having much "small talk" with her - many things were right to the point. She will be terribly missed. My friends Dawn and Jacquie took great care of her and tonight I will do what I can to help. I will cook for them so they can take care of more important things. When I cook food for people who are grieving it makes me feel like I am somehow helping comfort them. But it really comforts me too. I am making a mac and cheese dish that I basically made up one day but has proven to be great comfort food. Here is the recipe:

a bag of any kind of noodles you like - I use egg noodles mixed with elbows
a cup (or more) of ricotta cheese
2 eggs
a pinch of sugar (or more)
salt and pepper
a stick of butter
corn flake crumbs
parsley flakes
a cup of milk or heavy cream
about 2 cups of shredded cheddar
I mix together everything except 1/2 the butter , the crumbs and some of the cheddar
I top the casserole with cheese - then the bread crumbs and then I poor melted butter on top so the crumbs will crisp up in the oven
It cooks at 350 for a little over an hour
I hope it will bring some comfort to my friends
If anyone tries this recipe please leave me a note and let me know how it worked out!

4 comments:

Arties32 said...

That picture of her is hilarious!!!!

Jacquie O. said...

That photo is CLASSIC Martha! I've always said I wanted to grow up to be her...I'm so close already...I love dirty jokes and I have a foul mouth! Now I just have to fall in love with Scotch...blah!

keriwormald@gmail.com said...

Awwww. From afar, this was the first I heard about the passing of Martha Newell! She will be deeply missed. My love to all the people who are grieving.

Keri
(in Scotland)

A.K. said...

so excited you started a blog!!! yay! sorry to hear about your friend- that picture is great though!