Monday, March 31, 2008

The Church Hill Irish Festival

Images from The Church Hill Irish Festival...............











At 10:30AM Sunday Steve and I bundled up (it was sleeting) and walked a block up the street to the Church Hill Irish Festival. One of Steve's bands was playing and I looked forward to a day of food and music and fun. It was cold but worth it.
I thought it was hilarious that they didn't start serving Alcohol until after mass let out at 11 AM. You should have seen the folks scurry out of the church and get right in line for Jamison's, or Harps or Guinness.
We ran into some old friends and ate a lot of great food. There was Corned beef and cabbage and potatoes and mac and cheese and hot dogs and sausages and cookies. I couldn't help but wonder why the Irish wouldn't have funnel cakes - there was an obvious lack of fried food at this festival. Not at all like the State Fair where EVERYTHING was fried. Apparently, Robyn O told me, they had corn dogs there. I don't know how I missed those and I am not ashamed to say I am a bit heartbroken. I really really really love fresh homemade corn dogs.
After about 6 hours or so Steve and I had decided that we had spent enough time in the very very cold weather and headed back down the street. At the very end of the festival there was a man holding a funnel cake. I did a double take - grabbed him by the arms and asked (more like pleaded) "Where did you get that funnel Cake??" He was kind enough not to be too frightened by me and told me where the funnel cake cart was. How I missed it I have no idea. It wasn't a corn dog but it was very good.
I hope the weather is better at next years festival but it was a great time anyway.
(Sissy, I looked for Leppy but I think it was too cold for him.)

6 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Maybe you'll have to find a recipe for corndogs...they ARE better with the festival smells and stmosphere, though.

Janine Serresseque said...

I love that festival--it's just the right size, isn't it? Andy played with Kelly Kennedy et al on Saturday. It was fun! Chilly, but that was warmed with the pints of Guinness. Saw some very large sized kilts. We walked by your soon-to-be-former apartment building and I was rhapsodizing over your apartment. Were your ears burning?

Arties32 said...

Leppy was there in spirit :)
Happy Late St. Patty's!!!

I don't think that if they did have corn dogs they would be "fresh homemade" ones.

JB said...

jenn - everything thing there was homemade. it was really great food. It is outside St. Patricks Church and most things are made by the congragants. A woman I work withs sister made the mac and cheese and I am getting the recipe from her - it was awesome.

Joy W. said...

Hi JB,
Yes, all the food is homemade. My mom is a member of St. Patricks church and she was there all day and well into the evening on Friday cooking and chopping. It's a wonderful community spirit!! Eric and the boys went on Sunday. I had tech, but they went for a little while.
Glad you had fun. I'll pass it along, and ask Mom where they keep the corndogs!!
lol,
joy

JB said...

hey Sissy - did you recognize Kendall?