Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What ever happened to Davey Webber?


random pic of me and my sissy and a few girls I don't know. I don't have a pic of me and Davey but I think my mother has one. Mom, Can you scan that pic and send it to me? At least this picture was taken around the same time I speak about below. Who can pic out me and my sissy?

Last weekend I was playing a board game with a few friends. At one point we had to say what age we were the first time we had a boy / girl friend. Some people had to think about it for a bit but I knew right away.

I was 5 (maybe 6) years old. We were living in Corpus Christi. A few times a week I went to Ella Elsie dance studio to take tap, jazz, ballet, and modern dance. They must have sold my mother some kind of crazy package. There was one boy in our classes. His name was Davey Webber and in my memory he looked just like the Little Prince. White curly hair and little red lips. He had a great laugh too. This was my first boy friend. You could say he was the first in a long line of "dancy" boyfriends. (if you know what I mean)

It occurs to me at those times when I conjure up the memory that Davey Webber and I had the perfect relationship. After class we were given a Carmel and then our parents would pick us up. Davey and I stood behind the open class room door and kissed each other goodbye before we left the room. Even though it was just a peck, we thought we were doing something devious.

Once we went on a date. Our parents took us to McDonald's - probably after a recital or something- and we got to sit alone at a table. I remember how exciting that was. I remember being 6 and wanting to feel like I was an adult.
One time Davey got really sick and couldn't come to my Birthday party. Apparently I didn't want to come out of my room I was so upset. Davey was funny and sweet and talented and we got along like gangbusters.

There is a picture of the two of us in the front row at a recital. His hair is blond and wavy and he is smiling with his whole face. I sit next to him in a sparkly, light blue ballet costume with my hair professionally piled on my head like a ballerina's hair should.

Here is why I see it as the best relationship ever. I rarely thought of him if we weren't together. We went to different schools and there was never a moment of me thinking " I wonder who he is talking to in his kindergarten class?". We were too young for Jealousy and envy to effect us. It never occurred to me that he would do or say anything to hurt my feelings. It just didn't happen. It was all fun and spontaneous. When you are 6 years old you aren't thinking many negative thoughts. You are living in the moment and simply enjoying yourself. I try to remember that now. How well that worked then.

By the time I was heading into 3rd grade we moved away from Texas and I had a very tearful goodbye with Davey. I wish I remembered more about it but I do remember feeling deeply sad. We wrote for a bit but eventually it stopped.

It is the rare occasions that he comes to mind now but whenever he does it is a warm, nostalgic feeling that often makes me wonder if he ever thinks "What ever happened to Jill Bari?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will look for the picture, and have someone scan it for me. You were just 4 years old when you met Davy at the dance studio. And-you cried all through your birthday party because Davy had strep throat and couldn't attend.
I thiunk your sister could find him!
(:

JB said...

Thanks Mom - I'd love to post that pic but I don't need to find him. I am sure he is doing well.

Anonymous said...

That cake has a girl diving into a swimming pool on top of it. The words say, Happy Birthday Jennifer.
-Pop

Anonymous said...

I think there are nine candles on the cake. I think that the tall girl's tag says Kathryne. Pop

JB said...

wow - Jennisfer was Harry's age here - weird.

Arties32 said...

It was Ruthanne Forbus and the other girl is Julie Darlington. They lived next door to eachother. I started swimming because Ruthanne took me to the Country Club Estates pool one day and they were having races. She is married, living in Waco, Texas and has two daughters. I sent her the photo, too and she said her girls loved seeing it. I have looked for Davey Webber maybe once a year ever since I got my first home computer - in 1994. He is just one of those people I cna't find- there aren't many. I'll try again soon, I know you didn't say you needed to know, but it would be nice to know anyway, even if you didn't contact him!