Friday, March 28, 2008

My first attempt at homemade bread - And a sweet Easter story.

I want to share a story from little Muffin Face's childhood. The year was ....maybe 1974? We were living in Texas. It was Easter. I was just old enough to realize what A BUM deal the Jewish kids got on Easter. I saw Baskets of eggs filled with chocolate and stuffed animals and jelly Beans and chocolate bunnies and every other kind of candy you could picture. I didn't know what this Easter was but I was sure ready to sign up. I was over at a neighbors house admiring their pretty pretty basket when I noticed they got a baby bunny too. A real live baby bunny! Is there no end to this madness? She asked me if I wanted to hold it. Of course I did - I wanted to eat all her candy too. I wanted it all.

After holding the Bunny very briefly I handed it back to her brother. He was looking at it strangely and noticed its neck was bobbing around its shoulders real strange like. He keep shaking its little head around and saying "what is wrong with it?"
Well, why anyone would buy their little child a real rabbit is beyond me. You know those things are small and you have to hold them just right. It was then I excused myself and went back home. Easter was over for that poor bunny and it was over for me. Some say I killed that bunny out of jealousy (or even by accident) but I swear to this day that bunnies head was bobbing when he handed it to me. Still, I got over my basket and Bunny envy that day.

It is kind of strange for me to have so much "downtime" on the weekends but I am not in a show so I get to relax and try to find productive things to do with my time. I have always wanted to make bread from scratch.

It was Easter and I pictured all my none Jewish friends having an amazing party somewhere, eating chocolate eggs, wearing huge pretty hats and saying things like "No one invited JB, right? Good, the bunny is safe."
Once I found out they were actually all in rehearsal, I didn't feel any less jealous.
So I decided to put my time to good use. Sure - they could go do their rehearsing- or celebrate the rebirth of their Lord and Savior, but I could make bread.

I made a simple Italian bread. No butter or eggs. It was fun watching the yeast dissolve and getting the first whiff of bread smell. After mixing the ingredients together I started kneading like a crazy woman. I won't lie to you, this process was rather painful and seemed never-ending. Kind of like watching an Easter Parade.

You are supposed to kneed the dough until smooth and shiny. I am not sure how shiny dough gets. Mine got smooth and ...well...almost shiny. My arms and hands got real tired. I set it aside to rise and eventually divided it into 3 loaves. After they rose I cut slits in the top of each loaf and brushed a light egg yoke wash over them and sprinkled them with kosher salt.
Steve made a hearty batch of beef and vegetable soup to have with it.
I was pleased with the way the homemade bread turned out, considering it was my first attempt and no bunnies were harmed.












14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be the bunny.

JB said...

...what do you mean anonymous?

JB said...

you are freakin me out Anonymous!!

Arties32 said...

mmmm bread looks good. i remember when you killed that cute little girl's bunny rabbit just like it was yesterday.

pnlkotula said...

Aww, JB, "Don't be the bunny" is one of the songs from Urinetown. You poor kid - you must have been traumatized (not to mention your little neighbor)! Bread look good.

hoosier steve said...

I had always heard that you should never give baby bunnies as Easter presents. I had assumed that it was because so many kids after initial excitement will neglect that poor bunny and it will be abandoned by May. Now I know the truth, it is fear of the neighbor kid coming over and killing it.
Great story, I can't believe that story never came out at some drunken late night at the Lighthouse, or possibly it did and I was too drunk to remember it.
The break looks great. Home made bread is one of my favorite things to do. I think kneading the dough is a good way to get out a lot of pent up anger and frustration. Hey if you had been making dough all those years ago, perhaps the bunny would have lived...


It Was the BRICK!!!

JB said...

ok - I DID NOT kill the bunny. I swear....maybe it WAS the brick, Hoosier Steve!

Anonymous said...

the bread looks so good! so does the soup!
(:

porchfiddler said...

That bread looks lovely! Nothing better than crusty bread and homemade soup.

Janine Serresseque said...

JB, that was me, not Andy! I'm such a goober--I'm always doing that.

JB said...

wow - Janine. It is like you have a duel personality. Spooky.

Anonymous said...

OHMYGOD Jill Bari, I so totally love you!!!! When I was little, I lived across the street from an only child named Kim Gudgeon. She had bright blue eyes and a perpetual milk mustache, and every year she would get like a 9-foot tall stuffed bunny along with her weight in jelly beans and chocolate eggs. I don't remember any live rabbits, but you know what? I bet she got them and her parents were smart enough to keep the jealous little Jewish girl far, far away.

So after years of participating in Easter with hubby's Easter-loving family and scads of children (and I gotta admit, it was kind of fun), it appears that we have finally and completely opted out. Our girls are old enough to realize the hypocrisy in celebrating a religious holiday just for the chocolate, and this year Dave kept the boys plugged into video games on Sunday morning, which kept them out of the real world where all the other young children were playing in the sunshine and hunting for their little pastel treasures. :-)

When Cooper went back to school Monday, he noticed that a lot of the kids had goodies from their Easter baskets packed in their lunches. I just told him he was in good company with Irving Berlin, Itzhak Perlman, Richard Dreyfus, Woody Allen, etc. etc. etc.

Hey - check out this amazing list. I found it while looking for names to include in this post, but it's easier to just include a link to the list!
http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-entertainment-folder.html

- Holly T (can't figure out how to post as anything other than "anonymous" even though I'm not trying to hide my identity!)

JB said...

Holly - I am so glad you understand. Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

Oh Muffin Face. Of course you didn't 86 the bunny! But maybe you should have posted a recipe that included rabbit as one of the ingredients.

Keep 'em guessing.

Sparki