Friday, November 30, 2007

Moonlight and Magnolias

Keri, Joe, Robert and my BFF standing in front of the poster. (Nice purse)

Debra made a surprise guest appearance after her show at the other Barksdale (Hanover Tavern) ended for the night. She is starring in Swingtime Canteen and I can't wait to see it!
Scotty - either deep in thought or sleeping with his eyes open.
Chanukah at the Barksdale. Who knew?
Dave Bridgewater stands between the lovely Frank and Carol Creasey.
Artist and set designer Terrie Powers and her very hip children spoke about bands, myspace and facebook. I learned a few things.
Andy and our hostess Jennings.
Phil, Tom and Bruce looking dapper.

I can't believe this opened a week ago and I have yet to blog about it. I must have had a busy week but for the life of me I can't tell you what I did.

Anyway, tonight I am going to the opening of A Christmas Story at Theatre IV. It will be fun and interesting to see how they have adapted this popular movie to the Empire stage. One thing I love about the movie is that it is narrated by the author of the story and it is autobiographical so Jean Shepard is talking about himself and on top of all that he has a great speaking voice. When I was young I gobbled up all the Jean Shepherd books I could get my hands on. Wanda Hinkleys Night of Golden Memories and In God We Trust, all Others Pay Cash come directly to mind but I am sure there were others. But I digress, I will have to tell you about that next week - after I actually see it.

Last Friday Moonlight and Magnolias opened at the Barksdale Willow Lawn location. This show is fascinating, fast paced, knee slapping funny and surprisingly touching. Flawlessly Directed by my BFF. Starring 4 of my favorite actors to watch on stage - Scotty Wichmann, Joe Pabst, David Bridgewater, and Joy Williams. It is the (sort of) true story of what (might have) happened when they shut down production of Gone With The Wind to re-write the screen play in 5 days. I don't want to ruin the ending but I hear they do eventually get the movie made. What more could you ask for? Go see it people!

2 comments:

Frank Creasy said...

Wow JB, I think this may be the first time "lovely" has been tied to my name before, but I'll take it! (Surely it DOES apply to Carol, so right on the mark there!)

David wisely chose to put his arm around Carol, not ME, which I hope will put to rest those ugly rumors once and for ALL!

Seriously though, Moonlight and Magnolias is SERIOUSLY funny stuff! Joe, Joy, Scott and David onstage...add Steve Perigard's direction, how can you freakin' lose people?

Kudos Barksdale-Willow Lawn! I DO intend to somehow find time to make it out Tavern way to see Joe's beautiful better half perform as well in "Swingtime".

As I close, it occurs to me I'm just in time JB to say "Happy Hanukkah!"

JB said...

Thanks Frank! I am so glad you took the time to visit my blog. Sorry about those rumors about you and Dave. I think you could do better. :)