Monday, November 26, 2007

Urban Family Thanksgiving

Robert brought this beautiful dessert.
Dysfunctional Urban Family Robert's sausage stuffing.
Homemade mashed potatoes.

Fancy bowl, huh?
The famous "toast bones".
Green bean casserole
Squash casserole
Big Bird
My impromptu gravy

The "toast bones" are a famous Alexander family recipe. When HNS's mother made her wonderful cucumber sandwiches she took the crusts and seasoned them and baked them at a very low heat until they were crispy. I use them for snaking and croutons. It always makes me feel good making the cucumber sandwiches and the bones. I am so grateful that I knew her. I tried to take a picture of the sandwiches but it was all too white but they tasted great!

Since I go to my Step-Sister's house for turkey day I have not had the opportunity to cook my own Turkey in the last few years. This year I decided it was time and I haven't had the chance to cook that much lately so I spent the entire day Saturday cooking. It was so much fun and so relaxing. I made green bean casserole and squash casserole, A big turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, cucumber sandwiches and toast bones. Oh yeah, and jell-o shooters. Nothing says Thanksgiving to me more than Jell-o shooters. Just like mom used to make.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely candlesticks. My intended looks especially rugged and foxy.

JB said...

so glad you recognize the candle sticks - you gave those to me about 12 years ago - my, time does fly. They looked nice considering I had no table scape to speak of. horrors!

mim said...

I especially like Robert's free form lattice work. What seasonings do you use for the toast bones. I never have any bones from my toast, but who knows, someday, I may.

JB said...

First I drizzel them with oil (I used peanut to try to keep it light)I put seasoning salt and garlic powder on them. I toss them around on a cookie sheet and bake them slowly.

pnlkotula said...

Hey - what was the consensus on the squash casserole?

JB said...

Well Pnlkotula - I couldn't use your recepe because I was missing some key ingredients so I made one up - then I burnt it - I tried to save it by covering it in more cheese - it was pretty much a disaster. I will make your recepe next time for sure!

Brett said...

I'm inviting myself over for dysfunctional Thanksgiving next year. Or at least to lick all the pans.

Oh- this is Audra.

Arties32 said...

ROBERT please give me recipe for sausage stuffing!!!!!!!!!! Please !!!!!!!

Lovies - Jenn (and the eggs) :)

JB said...

Audra/ Brett - you are welcome to come by next year and lick the plates and bowls - then can you do a little Hip-Hop routine for us? The children have to perform - just like real family holidays.