Friday, November 16, 2007

Dinner with Artists

A wee little statue in Va Beach.
There really is an explanation for this.
Muffin sandwich.

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of dining at the home of Kelly Kennedy and Paul DiPasquale.

Kelly is an amazing actress and singer/musician and Paul is a famous sculptor. His work includes The Arthur Ashe statue on Monument avenue, the Indian overlooking our baseball diamond, the huge statue of Neptune in Va Beach, and, perhaps most notably, my ear.

I first met Kelly when she played my mother in Peter Pan. (a few years back)
I was reunited with her last year during Barksdale's production of The Constant Wife. She is one of the best actresses I have seen around these parts and she can sing like an angel sings. I am sure she has many recordings I could plug if I actual knew about them. I will find out about those and get back with you.

They don't live far from me and they probably thought I would hear about it anyway so they were kind enough to invite me to their home on Saturday where a scattering (flock, gaggle) of artists gathered for dinner.

One great thing about a night at Paul and Kelly's is that you know you are going to meet some interesting folks you don't know. I was seated next to a woman who is an artist and we became fast friends. I will visit her studio sometime and write a post just about her.

Dinner itself was amazing. A fish stew and roasted beets and homemade rolls and a beautiful salad. I am probably forgetting something but I ate light since I am still in a fierce competition. (Robyn O.)
However I wanted to share this stew recipe with you. It was just wonderful and I do miss talking about food. I love food. I miss french fries and cheese - oh the cheese. But I digress....
I have asked Kelly for her recipe and have not received it yet. I will post it as soon as I can!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great couple. Paul was so gracious in showing my sister and me his studio last year It was quite something.
(:

Dave T said...

Kelly has a great solo CD called "Wicked Polly" and I think has recordings with her band, 39 Fingers. But for me her favorite work is the stuff she has done with Dean Shostak. They have (at least) two children's CDs out, one called "Colonial Fair" and the other "18th Century Mother Goose Songs." The latter has been a family fave of our for years and years.

Dave T said...

I tried to find links to some of Kelly's music but couldn't find anything. Dean Shostak has a web site at http://www.glassmusic.com

Anonymous said...

perhaps you should do a Style story on Kelly. Everyone is always doing stories on her hubby!

mim said...

You have a nice looking ear! How fab' to have had such a treat of an evening with Paul and Kelly. I'm enjoying reading your blog, even if you don't have FOOD on it. I'm doing less food on mine right now, too.

JB said...

yes, Mim but you are in Paris!!! Thanks for taking us there via your blog.