Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Queen of the Do-Nut Dinette

Fried green tomatoes that I am definetly ordering on my next trip.
Breakfast of Champions.
Exterior
a hungry bunch

The Do-Nut Dinette is located in Norfolk near Ghent. My Sissy used to eat breakfast at this place everyday. It is as good a diner as you will find anywhere. The food is fantastic. They have made homemade donuts since they opened but if you sleep in you will miss them. That is what happened to us on our last visit. Jenn and Beth were visiting for Pop's big Birthday and we all decided to hit the Do-nut Dinette for breakfast on our way out of town. It is just a one room diner. If you need to go to the bathroom they give you a key and you carefully make your way to a door outside the small building. It isn't pretty but it has always been that way. I highly suggest you do whatever you need to at home before you go.

I ordered scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon and rye toast. It was scruptious. My Sissy hit the jackpot when she ordered the fried green tomatos. They are hard to find made with batter and not corn meal. It was a nostalgic trip for my Sissy. At one point, years ago, she was crowned Queen of the Do-nut Dinette. You may wonder what that entails. For starters she ate a meal there every day and she was given a sash and a septer. As people came in or out she would tap them on the head with her septer and bestowed "Do-Nut Blessings" upon them. I am sure they were all thankful. For a while there was picture of her all dressed up as the Queen that hung on the wall. I kind of thought that I might be treated as a celebrity walking in there with her but her reign is long over and, although people were very nice to us, the paparazzi were no where to be seen.

4 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Dang, now I'm hungry.

Arties32 said...

I was actually "Miss Do-Nut Dinette", but I like the sound of "Queen of..". Donut Blessings To You.
Sissy

JB said...

How did I make that mistake? Now you would be MS Do-Nut Dinette. (haha) We will leave the Queen title to more deserving folks...if you know what I mean.

Arties32 said...

ha ha 'nuf said.