Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One of my favorite days EVER! ...and a butt load of pics from it.



The art work that Beth bought for Jenn. Sydney signed the back with a special message for them.
Talking shop.
I coined the phrase "rock and roll folk art" to describe his work.

Thing 5 was fascinated with Pop's facial hair.

My Sissy was taking notes for her food blog. We learned so much that day!
Celebrating with a toast.
This was the best brie I had ever tasted and it was made in America!


Zanville the pretty good with a friend.
A gift to Sydney from my parents hangs in the entrance way to the restaurant.
Another piece of Rock and Roll folk art.
Sissy is still taking notes.
Kissing the Birthday Boy!

This Salmon winked at me, I swear.
3 potato salad.
Thing one dancing with thing 4.
Sissy and Sydney.


I know I tend to exaggerate, trust me, I come by it honestly, but this Sunday was really one of the best times I have ever had. I got to do all of my favorite things (well, almost).
It started out with a drive to the trendy SONO area of Port Norfolk. Very close to were I grew up. My father wanted his birthday celebration at Sydney’s newest restaurant. Sydney is probably the most brilliant chef I have ever gotten to talk to. I would almost call him a mad genius. He is not mad like “crazy” but mad like his brain must work in a different way than average. He is a true culinary and visual artist. If you loved food and art like I do you would be amazed to hear him talk, see his art and taste his food.
His newest restaurant is called STOVE. It is on 2622 Detroit Street in Portsmouth.
It is inventive and delicious.


Lunch on Sunday (he opened the restaurant on Sunday just for my Dad and his friends) was a smorgasbord of smoked tenderloin, asparagus, huge shrimp (is that an oxymoron?) salad, salmon, pimento cheese, a potato salad that included purple, white and orange potatoes and homemade bread that might have been the absolute best bread I have ever tasted. There was more but I can’t remember everything right now.


Sydney used to own a restaurant in Norfolk called the Dumb Waiter. I believe that is were he met my Sister and my Father. Due their instant respect for his talent they all became close friend’s and remain so to this day. Sydney likes intimate restaurants where the clientele are foodies that can appreciate his menu choices. For this reason he enjoys having a small space. His prices are amazingly low for the food quality and restaurant size.


After everyone left the party Sydney hung out with us and talked about wine and pork and cheese and art. We sampled things and asked questions got to relax with him. It was an amazing day. I can’t wait to go back to eat off the regular menu. I know it will be great.

4 comments:

Arties32 said...

Was also one of my very best days ever! Thank you for taking pics when my memory card ran out!! I loved seeing you and S.O. :)
Love!
J

Anonymous said...

"and S.O."? I'm intrigued!

Sparki

JB said...

Sydney - the chef.

JB said...

info from Sydney :
ALSO, THE CHEESE IS IN FACT A DOUBLE CREAM, IT’S DAIRY JERSY COWS AND THEY ARE ONLY AGED 6 WEEKS

THE TASTE IS BUTTERY, SOFT AND CREAMY WITH A THIN EATABLE RIND, GOOD PLEASANT ACID AND IS FABULOUS, THE COWS ROTATE PASTERS