Friday, February 29, 2008

Comforting the sick











So I have been sick all week with a nasty, nasty sinus infection. I am feeling on the mend but damn does my nose hurt. Can't wait for that to go away. During the worst of my illness I was at home. I tried to go to work a couple times and quickly realized, after a few "what are you doing here you sick girl!!" glances - I get those a lot but this was more than usual, it was a mistake to be there. I kept waking up miserable and thinking "It will go away if I pretend it is not happening." That didn't work.

So I made myself comfort food. All I wanted for about a day and a half were fudge pops, mango sorbet, and matzoh ball soup. Then I wanted something warm and soft like pot pie. I had never made pot pie before but figured how hard could it be? A normal person might have looked up a recipe at this point. I like recipes just fine and sometimes I use them but I always see them as just a starting off point or serving suggestion, if you will. I always do things a little differently than how I am told to. I have always been defiant, just ask my mom.

It was actually similar to the artichoke pie seen on earlier posts. I basically added all the veggies I had in the fridge - squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and carrots. I let everything cook down and then added a can of chicken broth and a little cream. I added some flour until it was a nice consistency. Then I let that all simmer while I took a much needed nap. The last thing I added was the chicken because it was already cooked. This is a great way to get rid of left overs. I also stirred in a little shredded parm for good measure. I poured it into an already made pie crust and put an egg wash on top of the crust. I baked it for about 1 hour on 350. I also cooked some fresh spinach to have on the side.
There are no pictures of the finished product but believe me - it was pretty. I was delirious with fever and forgot to take a final pic, OK?

I ate it up and went back to sleep. Good times.

6 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Hey Muffin, this is totally off subject, but I thought of you. Paul, Jamie and I went to a family owned Italian restaurant on our side of town tonight that we've been wanting to try - it's called Angelo's. Fabulous italian food, and my baby, my 6-year old, not only tried my eggplant parmesian, he LOVED it (it WAS delicious)and ate probably as much of it as I did. I'm so proud not to have a picky eater. Silly, but I wanted to share.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa...where is Angelo's? I am always on the quest for my favorite food...eggplant!

pnlkotula said...

It's in the shopping center at Huguenot and Midlothian, where Bed Bath and Beyond and Michael's are. The eggplant was incredible, and notable that there were several italian families eating there.

Anonymous said...

Oh that always is a good sign...if I see big nosesand big hair I feel like I am home on Long Island!

Janine Serresseque said...

JB, I hope you are on the mend! That pie looks san-fran-tastic! Maybe I'll try a veggie version of it.

JB said...

I want to try that eggplant too -

And Thanks Janine. You could easily do this with just veggies - I didn't put that much chicken in it. Just add more mushrooms or any other veggie you want. It might be good with tofu too. MMM - now I am making myself hungry.