Thursday, February 7, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAPA, THE GREAT!


My Father grew up in Baltimore and when he was a teenager he acted as magician at the local movie theatre. They had acts between matinees. He called himself "Zanville The Great". He still performs magic today. He is definetly a local favorite and has delighted many people with his slight of hand and other illusions. He has changed his professional magic name to "Zanville, The Pretty Good." But to me he will always be "Great".
On this day in 1938, "Zanville The Great" magically appreared. Back then they just called him Little Arthur.

I have been known to gush about my father in past posts and today will be no exception. I feel that I have been givien a wonderful gift to get to have this man as my Father and I take every opportunity to share my feelings with anyone who will listen.

I know it is not nice to compare but there have been so many times throughout my life when a friend will complain about their up bringing or something their parents did or said. It is in those times I try to imagine who I would have been with different parents. Parents that didn't support the arts (not just for me but for whatever community we lived in) , parents that weren't ultra liberal, that maybe treated different people different ways. Parents who didn't take their kids out to fancy restaurants and let them order whatever they wanted. Parents who were gossipy or pety.

When my Father goes to parties where people don't know him he will introduce himself as a used pool table sales man instead of a Rabbi so he won't miss out on any jokes.

There was always something to discover and enjoy together. It is still the same way.
I look forward to having a family of my own (someday) and I feel well equipted because of what I have experienced.
One of my favorite stories about my Dad happened when he was a little boy.

He always dressed very well. In his college and High School days the term was "Joe College" I am sure he was never without a certain type of button down shirt and blazer. (He was, in fact, a Diner Guy)

On this night everyone was gathering for dinner and my father had gotten into his fathers shaving kit and although I think he was too young to shave, he covered himself with my Grandfathers after shave. My Father sat patiently through the entire dinner waiting for someone to notice. Well, much to his dissapointment and surprise, nobody said anything to him about it all through dinner. Finally he had about as much as he could take and he loudly and agrily exclaimed "If anyone smells anything it's me!" Of course everyone just laughed.

Anyway, I wish I was a good enough writer to capture everything I want to say about my Father. The best thing I can think of to say is actually something he frequently says to me.

He says "I love who you are, you are neat."

Thanks for being such a wonderful Papa. I love who you are, too.

Happy Birthday! I will see you on Sunday!!!

8 comments:

Arties32 said...

Oh- I love that story! Love and miss you and papa and see you this weekend!

pnlkotula said...

What a sweet post. Happy Birthday to your Papa. I look forward to meeting him sometime.

Anonymous said...

Awwhhh...we are really gonna miss celebrating with all of you. Happy Birthday Pop!! With love from Atlanta XOXO

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Pop!... Much love from Sparki and the Dean.

Anonymous said...

TO JB: I love you for writing such a lovely essay. Thanks sweetie.

TO EVERYONE ELSE: Her unique spelling is her own invention. Not mine.
Pop

JB said...

unfortunatly - the spellcheck on my blog decided to stop working for the last couple days. That is why the spelling is so terrible. Sorry everyone!

Anonymous said...

Wht??? youre spell check is brok! Oh I am sooo scrwed!

Happy Birhtdya to Bj's pop!

JB said...

Sparki - I never noticed how much "Sparki and the Dean" sounds like an 80's TV show.