Friday, February 22, 2008

Back to basics

my made up creamed spinach recipe.
Fresh shrimp.
sizzling ribeyes
Lately I have been showing pics of food from restaurants but not from home. Here is a recent meal I made at home. It was quick and easy and as good as if I had gone to a fancy steak house. The ribeyes were the last thing to cook, of course. First I cut some bacon and sliced a big yellow onion and chopped some fresh garlic. That all went in a pot and as soon as the Bacon got crispy I added fresh spinach that I had chopped up. Once the spinach started to cook down I added the cream. Everything simmered for a while. I added shredded parm in the last couple minutes.
Quick story. After I picked the fresh shrimp at the seafood counter the gentleman asked me if I wanted him to steam it. I looked at him like he was nuts and said "What is the fun of that? I just got a bunch of raw shrimp - I want to shell it and cook it myself thank you."

whatever. I didn't say it was an interesting story.

So I shell the shrimp and saute them in a little butter and olive oil. This goes quick but always reminds me of a Benny Hanna's and I wish I had the skills to flip the shrimp onto my head and chop them super fast and stuff like that. So then it was time to put the steaks on a screaming hot pan. I don't usually put any flavoring on the meat so the real flavor of the ribeye can be the star. Since I was pan frying them I had to be very careful not to over cook them. I used to be famous for over cooking my meat.
Before I ate I crumbled some more bacon on top of the spinach.
I served this with mashed potatoes. Simple. Easy. Delicious.

5 comments:

A.K. said...

i'm coming over for that dinner! looks delicious!

JB said...

Awww. Thanks AK - I hope you are feeling better. I have been wishing you well. XO
:)

pnlkotula said...

Good thing I'm eating lunch - yesterday, after the diner story - AND THE PICTURES - I ate half a bag of lime tostitos...

JB said...

That is hilarious Lisa! But you are so tiny anyway I don't feel bad. :)

Arties32 said...

mmm that looks VERY good, i have never made creamed spinach but will try your recipe