Monday, February 4, 2008

Nosh some Hamentashen

My sissy and I during a Purim party a few years back. Jenn is dressed as a yummy Hamentashen and I am mean, evil Hamen (Boooo).
That is a big beard for such a little girl.
I often wonder, when I look at this picture, what anyone who wasn't Jewish would think of my sissy's costume. "That poor girl, her parents dressed her up like a big vagina!"






Anyone who reads this blog knows I do a lot of cooking - but not much baking. This cookie is one of my favorite things to bake. This is comfort food for me and now my friends love them too.
For you curious people here is the Wikapedia definition:

A hamantash (also spelled hamentasch, homentash, homentasch, (h)umentash, pluralized with -en or -n; Yiddish המן־טאַש) is a pastry in Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine recognizable for its three-cornered shape. It is eaten during the Jewish holiday of Purim. The traditional filling is made with poppy seeds, but they are also made with many different flavors, including prunes, nut, date, apricot, fruit preserves, chocolate, or even caramel or cheese.[1]
Hamantashen are generally made by rolling the dough thin, cutting it into circles (of various sizes), placing filling in the center, and folding in three sides. The dough may be a cookie dough with orange juice added, citrus zest added, or a yeast dough.

Even though the traditional is poppy - and believe me, I have tried them all, the only real way to eat this cookie for me is with apricot filling.

I buy the solo brand and usually have some in my cupbord for whenever the mood stikes me. You can make the dough but sometimes I find the sugar cookie dough works just fine in a pinch. You can experiment with all sorts of flavors with this cookie and it will always be a hit.

8 comments:

pnlkotula said...

MMMMmmm...it's interesting that a lot of your jewish recipes are very similar to things my polish mother-in-law makes (when we beg and plead).

Arties32 said...

I feel the SAME way about the apricot filling, although the prune/plum filling mom has used is good also.

JB said...

that is interesting, Lisa. I love when I find similar traditions in other cultures. We are all connected, huh?

Arties32 said...

Ha ha. Yes, every time I see that picture I wonder what non Jews would have thought if they saw that costume. We were raised in such a way that we never thought there would be people who didn't know what a hamentash was. Now that I think about it, a lot of my just regular Halloween costumes probably didn't make sense to the neighbors in Corpus Christi or Allentown. I seem to remember being Moshe Dayan, Golda Meir, a Unicef box. Oy.

JB said...

yes Sissy, that's how they used to hurt us.

Arties32 said...

That was good training for your role as Yitzhak! I don't think you're HAMAN. You don't have the three-cornered hat. Maybe you are Mordechi?

JB said...

It IS like Yitzhak - good call there. It looks like I am wearing a witches hat. That is why I thought I was Hamen. Maybe I am the King? Do you think they purposly covered up my mouth with that huge beard?
BTW Jewish people - before the comments start to fly - I am aware that Purim isn't until the 14th day of Adar, I mean, duh.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!