Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thank you Guest Blogger Mim!!!!




Mim was kind enough to send me this info for a guest blog entry since I am still swamped with work and the play and can not post as often as I would like. These look yummy - I can't wait to try them myself!

TURNIP CAKES

Steam or simmer cut up turnips until soft enough to pierce them, then mash up, however you like to do that. I use a hand masher.

Mix with butter or margarine and add salt and pepper to taste. I use Spike natural seasoning.

Mix in one beaten egg, or two if you have a lot of turnips, like I had.

Add bread crumbs or instant potato flakes (I use Barbara's brand instant mashed potatoes) to thicken the turnips.

Form into cakes and coat with bread crumbs mixed with paprika, or matzah meal, which is what I had on hand.

Heat some olive oil in a skillet and fry the cakes, browning first on one side than the other (to state the obvious.)These are good hot or at room temperature.

I took this batch to the pot luck picnic at Victory Farms this past Sunday and they were a hit!Bon Appetit

m i m

4 comments:

Arties32 said...

I never heard of this, but I love turnips!! Thank you, Mim! I will definitely try this!!

Anonymous said...

Love this recipe and love your blog as well, Mim!

mim said...

I'm delighted to be a guest blogger! Did I invent turnip cakes? and thanks Sparki for lovin' my blog.

JB said...

Maybe you invented them!!? Maybe you made history on my blog. Should we call them Mim cakes??
How do we find out??