Sunday, October 21, 2007

Caution: Monkeys throw poop.

It turns out all the folks in my dressing room love monkeys. What's not to love really? We have started pulling our monkey collection together and they keep us company. We have even started saying "Monkeys throw poop" instead of saying "break-a-leg" - I'm sure it will catch on in no time.
Some of us have a lot of time back there.
My love of monkeys goes back to when I was a child and my father would plead to my mother for a monkey. He would say "But, it will tip it's own hat." - like that was the thing that would break her down.

During Syringa Tree I received monkeys as presents from people and still have folks call me Monkey every now and again.
I was in Ukrops about a year ago - just shopping and minding my own business when I heard a voice behind me say "Mooonnkkeeeyyyy - oh muunnkeey." It turned out to be someone who had seen Syringa and that was their way of saying hi and bye. Seriously, that is all they said to me.

There is a random line in The Member of the Wedding when Frankie is telling Berenice that she was running all over town telling everyone her plans. She even told "The monkey and the monkey man." This line always intrigued me. Does every city have a monkey and a monkey man? She says it so matter of fact, are we not supposed to hear that and say to ourselves "what?" - I mean she could say "I told Joe, the butcher"....or "Sally the street magician" and it would sound more realistic. Every night when she says that line I try to picture the scene in my head.
Here is how I suspect it would go down:

Monkey Man: Hi Frankie. What has you all in a tizzy?

(The monkey tips it's hat to her and scurries to the monkey man's shoulder.)

Frankie: Why, I am going away. far, far away with my brother and his beautiful bride when they get married on Sunday. You see, I am going to Hollywood to become a movie star. Yep - my smart, gorgeous, (almost too young to be playing my Aunt) Aunt Pet even suggested it. She says I have talent and grace and ought to go be famous in Hollywoodland and that is what I am going to do.

Monkey Man: Well, little Lady, have you discussed this with the bride and Groom?

(The monkey looks worried and rings his little hands, maybe gives off a small monkey sigh.)

Frankie: Well that is the best part, you see. I have decided to make that their special wedding surprise. I am sick unto death of this little town. I must get away, you see. They will be so excited. I can see it now. Man oh boy!

She runs off and leaves them in the smoke of her soon to be broken dreams.

(The monkey shakes his head.)

and scene.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your scene reminds me of the scene in Wizard of OZ when Dorothy is running away and meets the wizard. The world was so much cooler then! Now all we have is Dirt Woman!

Arties32 said...

The monkey we have always wanted tips his "own little hat". That's all he wanted to see, a cute little trained monkey tipping his hat. When he turned 60, I found the ONLY organ grinder in the U.S. and tried to hire him to perform at dad's party. No matter how much I begged or called him, I couldn't get him to lower his fee. I'll always regret not being able to work that out. Imagine the delight in dad's face when he would have seen that little thing tip his hat. Now his face might never see that delight. Could i feel any worse? BUT one crazy thing happened. Once, dad and kitty were coming to visit me in Philly and got off the wrong exit off of 95. They went into a gas station to ask directions and lo and behold, there was a guy there WITH A PET MONKEY! Mind you, he didn't tip his hat, but what a rare coincidence. They happened to stop at THAT gas station and the man and monkey were there.

Love
Chickie face
Love you
Monk monk

JB said...

We have to find that organ grinder guy for the 70th birthday. Perhaps his rates have dropped?

Le Synge Bleu said...

damn, i need a caution, monkeys throw poop sign for the nursery!

JB said...

oh, Synge- we can share it. I would be MORE than happy for it to hang in the nursery...not sure where to put it at home.

Anonymous said...

dad did get a monkey after all!
you write and express yourself so well!
(:

Arties32 said...

Dad got a monkey?

JB said...

I think she means me.

Anonymous said...

I do need to find you some good plastic poop to go along with the wooden monkey. Then it would be a complete set!

Princess Crabass said...

Okay the monkey stuff is funny and all, but I'm peeing my pants over smart, gorgeous, too young to play my aunt.

JB said...

What is so funny about that, Robyn?