Thursday, May 15, 2008

Happy Birthday to my little Bother!



His Daughter, Caroline.
Jon and his son, Chip.
How I usually picture Jon

When I was in elementary school I was asked to write a story about my favorite family member (or something like that). I decided to write about my little brother Jon, except all through the paper I called him my little Bother instead.

My Brother Jon is very funny and smart, has great taste in music and survived growing up with two big sisters. If my sissy and I wanted to play with a toy that was on another floor in our house we would convince Jon to get it by saying "We'll time you!" and making a fun game out of it for him. Problem is I don't remember ever actually timing him. He would run in out of breath with the toy we asked for and we would either laugh at him or make something up and humor him. This went on for years.
Some of my best memories growing up are of me and my brother just laughing. We have similar senses of humor and would sit around and talk or watch TV and just laugh. I still remember watching an episode of the Newlywed Game (boy, does that date us or what) that put us in hysterics. Jon, do you remember why? All I remember is laughing so hard I thought I was gonna break something.

We don't live very close to each other and I miss him very much. Even though I am so proud of the life he has made for himself and his beautiful family part of me wishes he still lived across the hall from me and I could sneak into his room and we could talk about our days until one of us fell asleep. One time he fell asleep while hanging over the top of his bunk bed and he landed right on his head!

Writing that just made me cry a little so I have to end with a funny story about my brother. OK , it is really more about me. When my family moved from Portsmouth to Miami I was a toddler. I thought the plane was great and I remember thinking that it would be a nice thing for me to introduce myself to everyone. I went up and down the aisle saying to each person "Hello, my name is J'Bawi. I have a sister Jennifer and a brother with a floating penis."
Apparently we all bathed together.
I love to picture the look that must have been on my parents faces.

Anyway, I hope you have a great Birthday Jon. I miss you and I can't wait to see you next weekend. You are an awesome little Bother.

7 comments:

Arties32 said...

Number one: I can't believe you told him that we never timed him, now I can never get him to go get me toys.

Number two: Jon is by far my favorite brother. Okay, he's my only brother, but even if I had others, he would be my favorite. I love you Yoni :)

JB said...

ha-ha - you said Number two!!

But seriously - I figured we could start the whole "I'll time you" thing on the next generation already- I mean, they are all old enough to run now. I will try it out in Atlanta next week and let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Good luck getting Caroline to get you anything. Timed or othewise. Can't wait to see you JB!!

JB said...

sounds like you have tried this trick already. Is this Lesley?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your baby brother! Chip is lucky to have him as a Daddy. Caroline is lucky to have Lesley as a Mommy. I'm lucky to have the whole darned gang of you. Maggie included.
Pop

Anonymous said...

this made me tear up. these were wonderful memories, and, yes, as you all are,Jon is a good person. I am so proud of the person he is. What a great gift to your bother to write such a nice piece.
Yes, your dad and I argued over who should go and stop you from sharing all of the personal stuff on the plane. luckily, Jon was only a year old and had no idea what you were saying.
love and hugs,
(:ma

Suzanne said...

Funny, my son, Jonathan, also has a floating penis. His brothers are not similarly endowed.

I remember Yoni (that is what he was called back in the day) from camp although I'm sure he doesn't remember me. Anyway, birthday wishes from me as well!

Suzanne