Friday, January 11, 2008

Poor little Muffin Face - confessions of a middle child.

It's Friday. To celebrate lets have story from Muffin Face's past.

I was in the 3rd grade. We lived for a year in Allentown PA. Yucky place really. We had moved from TX and I was probably reading /writing at a 1st grade level (if that). I know, not much has changed in that department. Anyway. I don't have tons of Allentown memories because we were only there a year and it was a long time ago. We lived in a big old house that my mother probably spent the entire year re-decorating. In the lowest level of the house were two huge rooms. One was my bedroom and the other side was a playroom. in between these two rooms was a cedar closet that we were all scared of. My mother told us if we went in there and shut the door we would die. She was always saying funny things like that.

So the second level of the house was a living room, dining room, kitchen - and so on. The third level of the house was were the rest of the family had their bedrooms. Some nights I stayed in my brothers lower bunk bed so I wasn't so far away from everyone. But most times I was probably very content in my own far away space.

My sisters room was all pink. I was always a little jealous of that. One day she was given a brand new ink blotter. The next day someone wrote "This is Junk" on her perfect new pink ink blotter.

I wouldn't have known about this except for the spanking I received for writing it. I remember not being very surprised that I was being punished. Odds were I had done something to deserve it, right? But it was confusing none-the-less. Just what had I done this time?

Later that night my little brother (who was in Kindergarten at the time) looked at my parents and confessed that he was the one who wrote on the ink blotter.

I sat back and waited for my parents to shower me with apology's and maybe even presents. I was sure they felt just terrible. I was prepared to be gracious and tell them that, while the pain was palpable, I was a big enough person to let this go. I sat there in eager anticipation. My parents looked at each other in shock and amazement until finally they looked at my brother, tears in their eyes, and said "We had no idea you could write! And what lovely penmanship. We are so proud of you. "

This is a true story.

16 comments:

pnlkotula said...

I can so relate to your story, Muffin. I was the baby, and in my parents' defense, more than a little spoiled, but always a very good child (no Kidding, I hated getting in trouble and was a stickler for rules). But one day (we lived on a farm, next to my uncle who had cows), my daddy told me not to touch the new electric fence. Being a curious child always, I of course, did it anyway, and it hurt like s#$%. Then instead of grabbing me up and hugging me, my daddy spanked me for not listening! I'm a mommy now, and I understand the logic, but at the time, I was so upset. I miss him, and I hope I raise Jamie half as well as I was (though he doesn't get nearly the spankings he should).

JB said...

That must have hurt and Im sure you were like "haven't I suffered enough here?" Thanks for sharing this. You are a great Mother!! XO

Anonymous said...

Middle children of the world.... UNITE! I've got your back.

Robinitaface said...

We are stronger people for being middle children. I believe this to be true.

Anonymous said...

How thoughtless of your parents1
(:

pnlkotula said...

I love your mom, and I've never met her! She's funny.

Arties32 said...

Yea, "she's funny". That about sums it up.

Janine Serresseque said...

I love that story!

Anonymous said...

That was hysterical!!! I have told tons of people that I work with about it. They think it was grossly unfair as well. I think that you may still suffer a bit of the "pink" envy as I look at the borders of your blog.

Anonymous said...

Man that brought back memories! I was the oldest of three and I have to say that my sister did suffer being the middle child. We were only 18 months apart...not such a big difference. But it caused issues with everything because I wanted to do things first (big surprise there) and my brother was spoiled rotten by my Dad...so poor Christine just never got a break. Christine and I are very close now...but man oh man, I bet my parents wish they could take some things back (I know I wish I had handled things better...but I was a kid and kids do stupid things when they want attention.)

JB said...

Todd - that is hilarious - I never thought about my pink blog before. I am sure that is why.

Anonymous said...

What? I'm a little disturbed your mom told you you would die if you went in a closet?!!

Anonymous said...

i am absolutely, positively sure that it was you ma and dad who told you about the cedar closet. It was air-tight (for summer storage of clothes) so even a moth could get in-and the fumes were not healthy, So, you wouldn't have gotten Oxygen in there.
(:

JB said...

yes - they were only protecting us. Thanks mom and Dad. I have a walk in closet now that i go into everyday so no long term psychological harm done.

Andrew Hamm said...

This, of course, explains why you are an actor and why you yell onstage.

JB said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA