Friday, January 4, 2008

Chuggers reunion

You know, reunions are funny things. I have never been to any of my High School reunions. I don't think we even had a 20th. I did go to my 20 year Avodah reunion. That was a group from my camp that lived together cleaning the camp the summer we were all 16. That was a great summer and I will tell more camp stores at some point. There are so many of them.

Last weekend my friends got a group of us reunited that used to hang out at a restaurant called Chuggers. Chuggers has been closed for a while but the times I spent there are still pretty vivid in my mind. Every Wednesday was an open mic night hosted by a comedy troupe called the 955 club. It featured local comedians. Were they always funny? No. They were heroic though. That I know for sure. Comedy is hard, y'all.
I had not seen these folks in a good 5 years. I considered not going. People change and friends grow apart. Sometimes it is good enough to leave the past in the past. Except I really missed these folks and thought about them often over the years. This group was close and comfortable and It felt like a safe haven from the rest of the world when we were all together. How often do we get that? And how often do we get to revisit that? So I sucked it up and went. Trying not to be self conscious of the fact that I look a little different and have yet to make my first million or write the next great American novel or become a household name (except for maybe a few households but we won't speak of those).

With in a few moments of arriving at my friend's house it was as if no time had passed at all. It took me a while to take everything in. To look at the faces of my old friends. I know change is inevitable. Things are always changing and hopefully we are always growing and learning but some things also stay the same. That is comforting.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

jb
Looks as if this was a walk down memory lane, and lots of fun!
Were you singing?
(:

pnlkotula said...

Glad you went, JB. I went to a, we'll just say "significant", reunion this past July, and I had to be bullied into going. But I'm really glad I did. I really enjoyed seeing some old friends, and I put to rest some old ill feelings as well. good times.

JB said...

Sounds like there is a good story there Lisa! Can't wait to hear details.
And yes, Ma. I was singing. That is what I am doing with the microphone in my hand. Also - I think that pic is hilarious because of the big elephant right behind us.

Anonymous said...

you could have been lip-singing1(:

Arties32 said...

Great photos, I recognize a couple of those people !!!! HI STEVE :)
It's great that you got together with some old friends, and it's the perfect time of year for that, too :)
Love you Sissy.

Anonymous said...

Is that Heather? Looks like you had fun..... Rock on, Traveling Jill Bari's!

JB said...

Yes Sparki - That is Heather! I will tell her you say hello.
But those are not the Travelin' Jill Bari's singing. I am not sure what you would call that group...maybe the Organ Bari's? That doesn't sound too good.

mibbbs said...

Yes, time definitely causes some things to change---- but so much remains the same. I've just met you, but the Chugger's community is such a close-knit one that I feel like I know you already. I mean, if you're friends with my friends, you must be pretty awesome. :P
As I said on the myspace, we definitely need to get together soon... Cheenon's playing a gig on Meg's bday in february (9th).. AND they're playing on my bday too, april 19th! Should be good times... but hope to see you before then! Anyone that makes steve-o smile that much is aces in my book! Rock on chica, rock on... ;)

JB said...

Awww. thank you Mary. That was so sweet! We will definetly hang out soon! :)