Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Friday night chili and latkies!



My awesome and talented friends Rich and Heather (pictured above) had me over for dinner last weekend. They made three kinds of chili to accommodate their guests. One regular, one without meat and another without onions. Oy!

I had the real stuff and it was some of the best chili I have ever had. The photo credit goes to Heather since I had already started eating before I remembered to take a pic. I was in a feeding frenzy of great proportion. Seriously. It had been so long since I had chili I forgot just how good it can be with a little sour cream and shredded cheese melting on top. I neglected to get the recipe so if Heather or Rich read this maybe they can add it to the comments section.

We all used to live together and were recently reunited at the reunion party they threw a couple weeks ago.

It was great hanging out with them again and I hope there will be many more meals together.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We dont really use a recipe perse to make Chili but if I remember correctly it was 3 lbs of ground turkey, 3 cans of chili beans, 2 cans of black beans, half a large jar of salsa, and Chili powder and cumin to taste.
Oh and salt an pepper.
The real key is letting it simmer for a while.

JB said...

Thanks Rich - I am glad to hear it was turkey. That left more room for the latkies in my belly!!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah and one thing I like to do is let the meat brown in very large chunks before breaking it up in the pan. that way you get better browning on the meat than you would just breaking up the meat right away.

JB said...

I never heard of that - what a great tip! Thanks!
PS - at the camp I went to every summer for 10 years we had long song sessions after every meal and an especially long song session on Friday night for Shabbat. So I especially liked our long post meal song session. I just wish the pictures would have turned out better.

Janine Serresseque said...

I love Latkes. I have never made them--only eaten them (at warp speed). Are they easy?

JB said...

It is a simple mix of shreeded potatoes, onions, egg,matzah meal and salt. You can also add carrots, squash, or any other shredded vegetable. I had some at the Timberlines this year made out of sweet potatoes. They were excellent. Come by sometime and we will make some!!