Monday, April 28, 2008

The passing of the Pan...and other thoughts to share.



I know it has been a while since I blogged. I only hope there is someone still interested in reading this muck.

I went to see the opening of Peter Pan at theatre IV on Friday night, 12 years after the production I was in at the same theatre. 12 years ago was a very special time for me. More than I realized as it was happening, as those things often go. It was the first time I met and worked with my Best Friend, Steve. I didn't know then that 12 years later we would come to mean so much to each other and I can't even imagine how different my life would be without him. Steve directed Peter Pan and somehow convinced me at the time that I would make a good Wendy. Forget that I was already 27 years old and hadn't done a musical in years. I didn't know who this guy was but he certainly didn't know me or the "type" of messed up, quirky characters I was used to playing on stage. But - of course, I did the role and it all turned out to be a magical experience.

Peter Pan can be a very tricky show to stage - because of the huge technical aspect of the show and it can easily look quite amateurish in the wrong technical hands. I don't know how Steve pulled it off - with a cast of so many, including so many children but he did and he did it beautifully. The new production of Peter Pan has lost none of its magic. If anything it is even more powerful than ever.

I had a lot of people asking me how I felt on opening and if it felt weird to see the show and see someone else playing Wendy and bla bla bla. I am not one of those people who think they "own" a character because they have played it before. As actors there are way too many people we play to think of them all in a possessive way. I think when we are on stage as the character we should embody it best we can. But they are not our words. We, as artists are only renting that soul space. It is our job to give it a temporary life, hopefully one good enough to inspire others and then pass it on. Isn't that part of the art form, of the medium? Letting it go? So, no. I had no problem watching Peter Pan again. 12 years later. I loved it. I was inspired by it. I recommend it to all.

I was particularly impressed with Robert T. who played Hook/Mr. Darling, he struck that delicate balance between fearsome and goofy - never going overboard in either direction and singing and moving like a Broadway veteran. Christine, my beautiful ex-roomie and dear friend, blew me away with her portrayal of Wendy. Until I saw her perform it I honestly didn't know how interesting and fun and sweet a role it could be. Richard Koch makes a wonderful Smee. He is endlessly entertaining and seems to have instant chemistry with anyone he is near on stage. He is one of those actors that is so good, he makes everyone around him look good too. I think that was part of the magic of the Pirate ensemble of this cast. They all do well but it helps to have a strong leader. Ford does another amazing job as Peter - no surprises there.

Of course, I give Steve all the credit for everything. As a director, he knows the story he wants to tell. He can not only picture it but tell his actors and technicians how to picture it too. That may sound easy but it is nearly impossible to do well - especially with a show like this one. Steve is one of the finest directors around, maybe anywhere. That is not hard for people to see.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!
I just wanted to comment on one aspect of your "Pan" blog about feeling "ownership" of a role. I agree that none of us owns any particular part we play, considering the thousands of actors all over the world who have played thousands of roles over and over again. I mean, who really wants to say that NO ONE but Mel Gibson could ever play Hamlet? Oh my GOD. But I know I went through a transitional stage of really yearning to reprise roles again, and knowing that they had passed me by either because of age, or weight gain, or both. Sometimes friends of mine took these roles, and man, it was painful to go and watch. NOT because they were terrible, let me clarify now. But because I MISSED being up there so much.

Sometimes when you inhabit a role you really love, you sort of mourn it like a little death when it's over. Getting older has been a blessing. I can let go of stuff like that with much more ease. And I can also remember to count my blessings that I've gotten to do so much that I can be proud of. As have you lady!

Take care and write about some food soon!
Now I think, according to my tv, that I may have to seek shelter from an iminent tornado. Holy shit!

JB said...

Debra,
thanks for your great comment and your honesty. It is true you should be proud of so much and you have much more ahead of you. I don't want to sound stupid, but I get excited everytime I know I get to see you on stage - I always know I am in for a treat.

PS - I KNOW you want to do Silent Hero's again. Just admit it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks jb! And good news, no tornado. I should pay more attention to the weather report.

And oh yes, Silent Heroes. Please, CAN we? Please?

Jacquie O. said...

Oh that is such a good way to put it Debra. It is a mourning of sorts...we mourn the end of the role, the friends we have been with, then seeing it again regardless of how many years later, brings back all those memories. I know for me that feeling of time passing quickly is so REAL now. I want to hold on and treasure every moment. I think I enjoy performing more at this age because I am so aware that it is the people and the experience that mean the most in the end. The reviews, the production issues…none of that really matters…except that it can make for a good laugh down the road.


Love you ladies!

Arties32 said...

Is it normal to continue to mourn a role some 25 years later? "Steinberg Sisters in Lead Roles" was such a catchy subtitle. I never had so much fun on stage! Except maybe that time pole dancing at Schmangerous Curves. :)

JB said...

haha - remember the article said our father would miss the performance as he would be "out of the Country" we laughed thinking it sounded so C.I.A.

Arties32 said...

Yes. That was hilarious. I still have the article in a scrapbook and once in awhile, when I need to feel like a star, I have to admit I take a peek at it :)

Janine Serresseque said...

JB, I certainly agree with you about Steve as a director! He is truly a gifted one, isn't he? Also happens to be one of my favorite actors as well.

I've seen all 3 incarnations of Theatre IV's Peter Pan and I never get tired of it. I'll probably watch it at least once more before it closes!

Your place looks great! You guys are really doing a ton of work on it! Glad to hear you eradicated the curry smell. I love curry smell, but only when it's my own!

Glad you're back! You've been missed!

XOXOX