Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Meg fixes up my living room (and works her tush off!)

There are many people to thank who helped me during my move (and some are still helping). Joe has been more than generous with his truck and his time. The crew - Tony, Andy, Jake, Scott, Joe, and Steve. - Later Meg and Grimmy joined us too. Rich and Heather. Rich came over the night before the move and made at least 3 trips to the new house with his Suburban filled with boxes. On moving day Heather and Rich fed all my helpers at the new house with soda and Pizza. It was sure nice to know food and drink were taken care of - especially since there was no water until Sunday. I have eaten a lot of meals out but that will change in the next couple weeks as the kitchen gets cleaned and ready to use. I have set out lots of those ant hotels too and put spikes in the yard. And yesterday, after having a terrible dream about them, I confronted one of my big fears and killed a huge spider cricket. In my dream there was one in the basement, like the MOTHER of them all, that stood up on its hind legs and definitely had a head and shoulders - it was not pretty. Apparently there is a special spray you can get for them. The real spider crickets, not the spooky big dream ones.





I know I haven't talked much about the big move. It is kind of a sore subject and it is still going on so it is not fun to talk about yet. I can say that things are getting better. The curry smell is finally gone from the kitchen - despite the fact that so many said it would never go away. The house is relatively clean (except the kitchen and the basement) and the decorating has begun. My friends Roslyn and Barry bought me paint (and accessories) for a house warming gift and my friend Meg did all the hard work. Since my painting experience is limited Meg helped a great deal. She sanded and puttied and drilled and painted - for 2 days- until my living room looked clean and beautiful. I will get some "after" pictures up soon. She even messed up a cute Cheenorita T-Shirt. 3 cheers for super Meg! Thanks sweetie.





7 comments:

Arties32 said...

Muffin face, I hope you know how lucky you are to have friends like that. How nice- once the kitchen is clean I think you should make a beautiful dinner party :) I wish I had been there to help. The room she's working on looks absolutely great!

JB said...

I am so thankful sissy - I can't even begin to tell you how many people offered to help or quickly say yes - when I have asked for help. I am definetly having a big dinner party and making sure I make time whenever these folks need anything I can help them with.

Jacquie O. said...

AAAAAHHHH the Cricket Spider!!! No one should have to deal with those hoppy things.

I am ready to help you decorate...I have a lovely head shot of yours truly that is ready to mount on your wall.

Seriously...let me know when you want to paint, unpack, clean. All you need to give me is a glass of the vino baby!

pnlkotula said...

Well, that's a pretty room. I love the fireplace. I have been a bad friend, but I"m really close to being caught up, and I have something corny for your new place. I've actually had it for a while, but I haven't seen you!!

There is a spray. We have to use it in our basement every so often. When Paul gets home, I'll find out what it is. It's pretty easy to do.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I envy you for having friends who know how to work a drill!!!! Hmm. Probably my friends know how to do that. I guess they just don't especially want to do it at my house.

Hope you guys are settling in. I drove past your house the other day, and I think it IS the one where I taught music to homeschoolers a few years back! We only met there once, so I'm not 100% sure. I remember the mom didn't move off the couch the whole time, and there were TONS of fish tanks. But I don't remember the curry smell, so maybe I'm wrong.

Spider crickets are horrifying. We had them in our old house on Avondale Ave. in Bellevue. They love damp basements. Our cats used to hunt them. Do you have cats? Then again, poison spray is probably the best solution of all. Either that, or just make them into pets and put tiny leashes on them so they have to stay downstairs. Eww.

- Holly T.

JB said...

Ha-Ha. Those spider crickets aren't so scary when I picture them with little leashes around their creapy, spider-looking necks!

Suzanne said...

Having no idea what a spider cricket is, I just googled it. Eeewwwww. I got chills, and not the good kind. Oh, I just got them again thinking about the picture.