Monday, August 25, 2008

I used to be Shirley Valentine...I used to be Shirley Valentine...I used to be......

OK - has everyone gotten tired of looking at the last post yet?

This was the last weekend of Shirley Valentine. A one person show I had been doing at the Barksdale Hanover Tavern for the past 6 weeks. It has been a crazy and rewarding ride. I think it will hit me throughout the week in spurts - when I don't have to go get that spray tan this week - as I have gotten for the past 7 weeks, when I realize at the end of the week I still have gas left in my car, when Steve O. and I get a night off together and I can remember how cute he is, etc, etc - what might take longer is getting the lines out of my head. I was running them constantly in my mind. I guess I can and should stop doing that now. I will not miss the noise I would sometimes hear during the show (ie, noise from the Tavern) But I certainly will miss the laughter and applause, who wouldn't? I will miss the friends I made who tirelessly worked on the show and made sure I had everything I needed at any given time - For a one person show I felt very supported by many folks at the Theatre. I will miss getting to be Shirley as she talks to an eager audience about living. I will miss the moments when people are howling with laughter one minute and the next so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I got a few beautiful letters from patrons who enjoyed the show and ran into countless friends and colleagues who were lovely and supportive. It was a real feel good experience. It was truly both extremely difficult and extremely rewarding. Funny how that works out.

I started this process promising myself that this would be the last one person show I ever do and I ended it wondering what the next one could be. Typical.
Enjoy some party pics as well as some backstage secrets of Shirley Valentine....
My Stage Manager, Andrew, faithfully cleaning the grease off the fryer. He did this nightly by the end so the fryer wouldn't be too loud.

This is a magnet from Shirley's fridge with a picture of her two children "Millandra" and "Brian" but they are actually the two children of Set Designer Terrie Powers and Artistic Director Bruce Miller. The picture has been blurred for their protection (just kidding - it is just a bad picture).

Apparently this dish soap is all the rage in England. I enjoyed having a little Fairy on stage with me.
My messy dressing room.

The final "places" call from Andrew and Chris. (You can even see the clock behind them reads 1:45 PM.)

An awesome assortment of friends and family that saw the show Saturday night.
Amy, Dexter, Chris, and Andrew.

Christine, Laine, Tony, Irene (who has also played Shirley!), Erin, Phil and Bruce all enjoy a closing night cocktail.

Joe Inscoe poses with the awesome crew from the Tavern.

Muffin and her peeps.

4 comments:

Janine Serresseque said...

And a magnificent Shirley Valentine you were. I have heard more raves about you throughout the run of the show! I laughed when I saw the Fairy Liquid. That is England's "washing up liquid" of choice.

JB said...

OH, Thank you Janine. I am glad you enjoyed it. You know I loved having that Fairy soap on stage with me. I would have swiped it but it was actually lent to us by Jay Mccullaugh? I am sure I just butchered that nice man's name!

pnlkotula said...

Aww, I'm sure you will miss it, because you were magnificent, but the next great role is just waiting for you to grab it!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful pictures, and wonderful thoughts!
love and hugs,
(: