Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A missed trip to Cross Junction and Happy Birthday Sandy!


A cool pic of Steve O. playing his keyboard. (Courtesy of Sioux)

Deanna (Scott's wife) and Henry(their child)

The Birthday girl!
Henry and the Birthday girl
Scott, Henry and a reclining Craig
Henry walking in the woods.

It was in 2000 that I met Steve O. He came up to me at a gig he was playing and just started talking to me. If you knew him you would know that is quite a feat for him. Anyway - he found out that I sang some and wanted me to learn this song he wrote for a woman to sing. We exchanged numbers and had a nice talk. The next day he called me and asked me to dinner. I said no. I saw him again at the same venue and we hung out and talked some more. He was funny and confident and very kind. A couple days later he asked me out again and I said yes. I never did learn that song he was talking about. I have teased him about it since but he swears there really is a song. He was my boyfriend for a couple years. We sang together, went on fun trips together and laughed a lot - but we were young (him more than me) and we parted ways after about 2 years. I knew I would miss him but I also thought "hell, I am young and I will meet other people just as cool." But I never did.

So some mutual friends of ours invited us to a party they were having right before New Years. It was the first time I had seen him in 6 years - but after about 10 minutes it seemed like no time at all had passed.
So that is the story of Steve O (my BF) , not to be confused with Steve P. (My BFF) - got it?
I used to love going to his parents house in Cross Junction. It is right outside of Winchester VA and about 10 minutes from the West Va boarder. The mountains and the land there are breathtaking. His parents built a log cabin style house located on the side of a mountain. Down the road from the house is a cabin his great grandfather built - it is right in front of a little lake. Once we went to stay there only to meet up with HUGE black snake that was hanging out in the bathroom. Guess who didn't stay in the cabin that night?

One of my favorite parts about visiting that beautiful area was how sweet his family was to me. I got along great with all of them. I loved helping his mother in the kitchen and learning great cooking tips and recipes from her and our late night gin rummy games and our interesting talks about this and that.

A few years later I had the misfortune of briefly dating a guy, lets call him Michael because that was his name, who's parents were a living nightmare and treated me worse than crap. These people were laughably rude and totally unaware of their narcissism. It was then that I came to fully appreciate The Organ's kindness. My mother and I often talked about how much we missed them and how nice it would be to see them again.
Steve went to his parents this weekend for his Mother's birthday. I was sad not to get to go with him and see everyone again. I have the show thru Aug 24th so I had to miss this trip. My Mom even made it over there for a couple hours on Sunday - I was so excited she got to see everyone again. I know they all had fun together and there is even a guest blog post in the making from my BF covering a fancy restaurant they went to Saturday for Sandy's Birthday. Stay tuned for that! - And hopefully next time I talk about Cross Junction it will mean I got to go back their myself.

3 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Hmmm, I believe there was a past post about Mrs. Organ's creamed chipped beef. Maybe she should be a guest blogger...their home sounds lovely.

JB said...

That is right - she makes the best cream chipped beef ever and she was kind enough to teach me the recipe years ago. Sometime I will try to get her to blog about food but I don't know if she is on line at all.

Arties32 said...

Steve O. might have been gone but was not forgotten. He was always my favorite (understatement). I love Steve O. so does TLMM. We get to see him play a gig Friday night!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!! Can't wait to see that and see your show on Saturday. Love you sissy. OK that article didn't ruin the word Sissy as it relates to you :)