Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Very Special Gig.

Steve O. and I went to Temple Sinai in Portsmouth Saturday night. We had been invited to entertain the crowd of WW II Veterans at a dinner honoring them and other war Veterans. I was surprised when we walked in how many people were there. The social Hall of the temple was decorated beautifully and everyone was having a great time. I wished at that moment that Steve and I could have worked more, practiced more but the time for that never seems to be enough. I was more familiar with the standards of that era (between 35 and 45) and Steve knew many blues songs from that time. We didn't have a ton of war themed songs but I think the crowd enjoyed us anyway. We had so much fun that Steve O. and I decided to take our WW II act on the road in Richmond and pledged to go to a few senior facilities with our act. I will update you on that as it happens.
We arrived there about an hour into the party because Steve had to work late and we drove in from Richmond. Unfortunately we missed the Veterans each telling their stories That is something I was very sorry to have missed but heard it was very touching. If they do this next year I will make a point to get there early. One man even brought sand from Omaha Beach.

Here are a few pics I took - I didn't take a ton because I was too busy enjoying myself and spending time with these great folks!


Steve O. belting out a tune and playing piano too.

Pop and Steve all dressed up. (There was a picture with Kitty too and she looked beautiful but Steve's eyes were shut - sorry Kitty!)

The Rivens


a section of the crowd enjoying their dinner.


A proud son and grandson.

A few of the honorees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun night that must have been. I can't wait to hear your music.
(:

pnlkotula said...

Every year, Paul is asked to play Taps at the military retiree's christmas dinner on Fort Lee (Paul's dad was in the Army - that's how they came to live here). He literally plays for our suppers. We have always enjoyed the stories and the white elephant gifts and the big band music they hire. They always make us feel very welcome and appreciated.