Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crab Louie's


Bean and onion salad

sauerkraut mix
she-crab soup
Martha's salad

zucchini bread and apple-cheddar bread

Firecracker shrimp

crab cake and seafood Latkie

Fried Seafood

I had been wanting to try this restaurant for ever and a day. Last week was Greig Leach's birthday and on baseball night he told me that his family went out to Crab Louie's. It reminded me to go while I still lived on the South Side. I drilled him about what he ate - I love food details. I went with an open mind and empty stomach and my cell phone for easy pictures. (that is why they all look a little fuzzy.)
Crab Louie's is located in a small shopping area in the village of Midlothian - just a stones throw from the house. It is comfortable with the tables spaced very far from each other and very rustic and tavern looking without seeming old and dingy. We only waited about 10 minutes at the bar for a table. At the bar I had one of the best dirty vodka martini's I have ever had. I took that as a good sign.
Eventually we sat at a romantic corner table. On the table were the bean salad and the sauerkraut mix. I was hesitant, especially of the sauerkraut and wasn't quite sure why it was there. The waitress explained it was there for us to put on out bread plates and nibble on. (I guess I could have figured that out eventually) The beans were really good. The sauerkraut (which I had sworn off years ago after I sm'd a production of The Foreigner where I had to go under the stage and hand up sauerkraut through a small hole in the floor- there is more to this story but that is not for now) It actually tasted good but after a couple bites we moved it out of our way because the smell was so strong. We were so hungry we were bound to over order. And we did. But no matter - left overs are great, right?

I ordered the she-crab soup and Steve O. had clam chowder. He liked his but since I am not a fan of Clams I did not taste it myself. The she-crab soup was excellent with big chunks of crab meat though out.
I upgraded my salad to a Martha's Vineyard style salad which consisted of blue cheese crumbles and a maple vinaigrette dressing. It was excellent.

We ordered an appetizer of Firecracker shrimp. These were big shrimp, lightly fried (but still really crispy) covered in a sauce that burns the hell out of your mouth. It was tasty though and I am not one to complain about spicy. (unless curry is involved - yuck)

When the main course arrived I was not at all hungry anymore, as is often the case with me. I ordered what Greig told me he had. It was a broiled crab cake and one of their famous seafood Latkies. The name alone cracked me up. Are they trying to be Ironic? (or is that irony - I have issues with what irony is exactly) Anyway - The "latkie" was made up of crab, shrimp and lobster. It must be a reform latkie. Tee-Hee. It was excellent as was the crab cake - full of great crab and little else - maybe nothing else. OK - a few shells but I can handle that.
Steve O. got a big plate of fried seafood. It looked good to me but I couldn't taste anything else after sampling my dinner. I was full. I was glad we finally tried Crab Louie's and I would definitely go back but I will make myself order much less food.

3 comments:

Joy W. said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Crab Louie's. I'm glad you got to give it a try.
We should go together with a bunch of gal pals sometime!!

pnlkotula said...

You were that close to us! We haven't been in a while, but we love it, too. It's kind of a special date night place when we go.

JB said...

yes - thats what it was for us too! I didn't know you are near there.
Joy - I love the girl brunch idea - lets do it!!!