Wednesday, July 2, 2008

All Hail The Spring Fling!



In my little city there is a lunch dive that has been around for maybe 100 years. The food is simple and real, real tasty. You can't live here without eating there at least once. And even if it turns out you are one of those rare Richmonder's who has not been yet - you have certainly heard of it. It is called Pearly's. They have everything from deli sandwiches to hearty daily specials to homemade desserts.

Yesterday some ladies at the office were talking about going there for lunch and invited me along. I was quite excited because I had been craving hot dogs all day. I heard on the radio while coming to work - that it was National Hot Dog Month - so I was thinking about eating one from that point on. Seriously, I would have had one for breakfast if any place had them. Pearly's has great hot dogs with homemade chili. I know that may sound like a lot but considering that, due to my schedule, lunch is the last meal I eat daily - I figured I could splurge.

When we arrived and ordered I was the odd man out for sure. The rest of the ladies at my table ordered something that wasn't even on the menu. It is a seasonal item and you just have to know to ask for it. They all ordered something called a Spring Fling. It is simple and brilliant! A ripe cantaloupe with their homemade chicken salad on top. It is served with a delicious pecan muffin. I swear, that muffin is made of awesome. I sat there at lunch and ate my hot dogs but secretly I was wishing I had a Spring Fling instead. So today I swung down to Pearly's for lunch again and picked myself up one. It is much healthier than my lunch was yesterday and so tasty. It was also fun to order something that wasn't on the menu - like I unlocked a secret code or something. It got me thinking what else I have been missing out on in other restaurants? I didn't dwell on that too long since I had a delicious Spring Fling in front of me.

4 comments:

Arties32 said...

Looks delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

I love Perly's! Man, I'm homesick! Sigh....

Janine Serresseque said...

Perly's has onion rings that are to die for. Literally. I might as well just shove them in my arteries, but good god they're delish.

Unknown said...

There are three things I miss about Richmond, without a doubt the top two are friends and the theatres, but a close third is the restaurant scene. I have lived in two other communities since I left 4 years ago and you could put the two together and still not get close to the great food you can find in Richmond.

Perly's was always a favorite because it was easy to walk to from Theatre IV, always a huge bonus with the parking issues.

By the way JB, break a big freaking leg this week, wish I could come to opening.