Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Braves Lose on Restaurant Night

My row of friends who came to cheer for The White Dog!!

Not sure what was happening - just figured I should take a pic of the field.

Lee, newly back from his trip to Philly came to cause some havoc - at least he was dressed better than the rest of us!
More White Dog folks.

I never heard anyone scream as loud or as often as Lee!

you can barely read the sign but it says White Dog at the bottom.

The Diamond Duck gets a squeeze from a waitress.

Bruno and Sioux


Well, I was expecting it to be 100 degrees so I was surprised to discover it was a near perfect night. Not a cloud in the sky and the temperature was probably in the low 80's with no humidity. I am not a huge baseball fan - maybe in the major leagues or watching some real important game but when I go to the diamond (which is about once every 5-10 years) I go for the hot dogs, beer and company. Last night was no exception. The game was boring - the hot dogs were good and the company was great. I also wanted to get a game in before the Braves leave us for good.

And it was restaurant night - Barry and Roslyn invited about 40 people and we all tried to out yell Cary St Cafe when they splashed the name of the White Dog across the scoreboard (or whatever that thing is called)

I am curious about what will happen to the very large American Indian sculpture that graces the stadium. My friend, Paul made it years ago and it is a very interesting story how it ended up being at the stadium. He will have to write that story for you someday because it is long and involved and I don't want to get it wrong!

Anyway...they lost the game. I was so tired I went home afterwards while everyone else went out. I got situated on the sofa and I turned on the TV and Meet me in St. Louis was just starting! Oh Joy! I was so happy. I think I smiled for the entire 2 hours it was on. - Except for the parts I cried through!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I watched "Meet Me in St. Louis" too! Small world isn't it? I LOVE that movie...so beautifully made. And I have a couple of spots in it that make me cry. What are yours?

Sorry the Braves lost. :-)

JB said...

Well Debra - this will probably make you laugh but I swear it is true - when she was singing "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" I was thinking about hearing you sing that at the Cabaret - surrounded by friends- and I was thinking about the movie too and I was just crying from that point until the end.
I even sang the entire trolly song at the top of my lungs from the sofa. good times!

Unknown said...

Well, once again, another illustration that Richmond is the biggest small town in the world! I've heard the story where the Indian was originally supposed to go, but I would love to hear (with apologies to Paul Harvey) the rest of the story! Here's the amusing thing about how that game tied in with my trip to Philly. The A-Braves were in Philly over the weekend, & The Iron Pigs (last night's victors) are the Triple-A affiliate of the Phillies!

Growing up, I was only allowed to watch films like "Meet Me in St.Louis". It wasn't until I grew up that I realized what a favor my dad did for me! Classic movie musical if ever there was one!

Unknown said...

I've said for years that my superpower was my large & powerful voice! It's not flying, but I'll take it!

Thanks to Mayor Cottontop for driving the R-Braves away, BTW...

Arties32 said...

I just saw that movie last Christmas for the first time- it was fantastic!!!!

JB said...

ok Debra - I told you so now you tell me - when in the movie did you cry?

Anonymous said...

haha! Ok, I cry when the father tells everyone they are moving, everyone gets upset...then the mother goes to the piano and starts playing "You and I" and one by one the family comes back into the parlor. I cry when Grandpa asks Esther to the dance when her beau can't make it...I cry when the father decides they aren't moving...the mother is overcome and the father crosses to her and puts his hand over hers, and they embrace. I guess I just get really overcome at these scenes because in a couple of them the emotional climax takes place with no words. Just simple gestures that show the love and unity this family has. Vincent Minelli was a brilliant director. And of course, I always cry when Judy sings "Have Yourself A Merry Little Xmas".

This was epic. Sorry. :-)

JB said...

Thanks Debra! I love all those scene's too. And the very end when they are all standing around looking at the lights at the Fair - OMG - I could cry right now!
And the boy next door - forget about it!