Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Biggest Loser






There is not much I love more than a night alone with nothing to watch but cheesy reality programs. Last night I caught an episode of Biggest Loser family. I decided to plan a menu for myself in honor of the contestants. I am so glad I was alone. Eating fried veal , shells and cheddar and drinking red wine and crying while watching the biggest loser family. Seriously. If I wasn't crying I would have been laughing at myself. (It was a particularly sad episode Y'all - someone had to send their fat daddy home.) But at least I had the food to comfort me.

I love veal and I am always looking for new ways to cook it. Last night I made wiener schnitzel style veal. Which I thought could only be made with veal until I looked up a recipe that said I could use veal, pork or chicken. Wiener schnitzel is a Viennese cutlet. It is fairly simple. I pounded the veal until it was very thin - dredged it in flour, dipped in egg and covered it in bread crumbs. One of the tricks to wiener schnitzel is to resist pressing the bread crumbs into the meat. Heat in pan and make sure it is swimming in oil. This way the crust does not stick and forms a nice raised seal around the meat. I warmed the veal in the oven on a low heat as I pan fried the pieces in small batches. At the end I threw some lemon juice on top and added capers and ground black pepper.

This was so good it was hard to resist eating the left overs for breakfast. Very hard - OK , I just had one piece before noon. Like you've never had wiener schnitzel for breakfast before??

I highly recommend watching an episode of the biggest loser while eating your favorite high calorie dinner.

3 comments:

pnlkotula said...

HA HA HA HA HA! I caught that episode, too. I really love Biggest Loser, but I haven't been watching this season until now. I thought Jillian's head was going to shoot off the top of her neck when they told her they hadn't been exercising while they were AT THE GRAND CANYON. And I like Allison Sweeney, but something about the way she says the word "pounds" irks me, and I cringe through the whole weigh-in portion of the show because she says it like 50 times.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to watch this one!
(:

Janine Serresseque said...

I watched a few minutes of it tonight. Jillian is SO MEAN. If she were my fitness coach I would be in tears all the time.

That veal looks really good. I loved veal, too, back in the meat eating days. I still love anything deep fried!